Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/7/2005 3:36:20 PM EDT
I’m putting together an M14/M1A. Finally got my receiver (Armscorp), and after installing the barrel, I dropped in a SAAMI GO gauge (Forster 1.630) and the bolt won’t close. The bolt lug just starts into the receiver lug and stops. So I figure the headspacing is to small by at least 8 to 10 thousandths (I came to this conclusion after viewing page 68 of Walt Kuleck and Clint McKee’s “The M1 Garand Complete Assembly Guide”.

I’ve read Ekie’s post, and he lapped the bolt to increase headspace. But which area would you lap? The face or the lugs? Also at which point is there too much material to be removed for lapping to be a viable fix? I can see lapping to remove only 1 or 2 thousandths but in this case maybe I should try a finishing reamer inside the chamber?

I’m confident of my ability to perform both operations if I have to, just need a little advice on which is the best route. Reaming or lapping.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 3:51:21 PM EDT
[#1]
What kind of BBL are you using?
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 4:11:47 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
What kind of BBL are you using?

Don't know the manufacturer Noname. It's the new .308 barrel that Numrich sells. It’s a lightweight style barrel and it has no markings on it. It appears to be a well made, but I have to admit, I was kind of disappointed that it wasn’t marked.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 4:23:28 PM EDT
[#3]
I take it it's not chrome lined. If this is the case the chamber just needs to be lengthened with a .308 finishing reamer.

Aftermarket BBL's come "short chambered" so after installation the headspace can be set.

The bolt was lapped (in that other thread) because  the chromed chamber (USGI BBL) would not allow reaming.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 4:36:35 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I take it it's not chrome lined. If this is the case the chamber just needs to be lengthened with a .308 finishing reamer.

Aftermarket BBL's come "short chambered" so after installation the headspace can be set.

No, it's not chromed lined. I've built Carbines and Garands before using used USGI barrels. So I wasn't aware that new barrels were short chambered.

The bolt was lapped (in that other thread) because  the chromed chamber (USGI BBL) would not allow reaming.

Ah, I was also aware that chromed barrels could not be reamed but I did not catch the fact that Ekie's barrel was chromed. Anywy, thanks for the help, it was just what I needed!!
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 8:26:24 PM EDT
[#5]

Ah, I was also aware that chromed barrels could not be reamed but I did not catch the fact that Ekie's barrel was chromed. Anywy, thanks for the help, it was just what I needed!!

You're welcome...!

Also note as a "FYI", you can ream hardchromed chambers. It takes a carbide ream to do it-----------but since you're removing the chrome from the chamber and throat (maybe) area it kinda defeats the whole idea behind having a chromed lined BBL.

And the cost of a carbide .308 ream would be a religious experience...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top