Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/6/2005 1:19:26 PM EDT
Just bought my first M1A. A late '83' (?) ( serial #27xxx) model. NM sites, bedded walnut stock. Since I'm new to this field, I'm assuming this should have USGI parts? Now I need to get a scope mount for my SA 4-14x50 scope. I also need a good M1A manual or reference book so I can get to know the rifle. I've seen reference to a book by Steve(?) Duff. Not sure of the name of the book. Is this a good one to read for what I want, or is there another I should get? Thanks Greg
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 2:03:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Scott Duff's book is an excellent choice, The M14 Owners Guide.  Regarding the scope mount, the Springfields are a poor choice.  You're better of with an ARMS or other big $$$ mount.

Scope mounts on an M!4 are like fast cars; speed costs money, how fast can you afford.

Oh, great rifle!

Mike
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 2:11:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Scott Duff's book is excellent and highly recommended and available at www.fulton-armory.com.  www.smithenterprise.com or www.sadlak.com for scope mounts.  My book M14 Rifle History and Development will be available Tuesday August 9th.  E-mail me on Tuesday August 9th and I'll give you the price and ordering information if you're interested.  At over 102,000 words plus, it is comprehensive.  

Different
[email protected]

Link Posted: 8/6/2005 5:01:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Will the Scott Duff book show disassembly procedures and parts descriptions? I know my way around bolt actions and AR's, but my M1A knowledge is pretty basic. Also, how bad is the SA mount? I know you get what you pay for, but they sure are cheaper priced than some of the others. How is the ARMS mount? Thanks for the replies by the way! The help is appreciated. Greg
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 5:38:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Let's make this easy.  Go to www.biggerhammer.net and go to the Manuals section.  Look for the M14 manual FM 23-8.  Download that free government manual to your C: drive.  That will give you what you want to know regarding disassembly and parts identification.

On scope mounts, IMHO, a steel construction three point scope mount is the way to go.  You need three points of contact to keep the scope from shifting.  The SA, Inc. Third Generation scope mount is an aluminum two point mount.  Three points of contact makes the mount much more rock solid.  Brookfield Precision Tool proved this in the XM25.  It's more money but go with steel construction.  Aluminum heats up faster than the receiver does.  That means it's going to expand and contract at different rates than the receiver.  If you are taking one shot to hit a deer then it works.  If you are looking at reptilian alien defense, the steel construction mount is needed.  IMHO, www.smithenterprise.com or www.sadlak.com are the M14 scope mounts I recommend without hesitation.

You need to know that commercial M14 rifle receiver geometry is not always in accordance with the USGI receiver drawing 7790189.  Therefore, some M14 scope mounts don't fit perfectly.  Please read the free online M14 Scope Mount FAQ on my web site www.imageseek.com/m1a.  It will save you some heartache.  The ARMS #18 mount is a great mount but because it sits so low SOME folks have cases get stuck OCCASIONALLY in the action.  That 's not critical if you are using it for target shooting or blasting coyotes.  HTH

Link Posted: 8/6/2005 6:24:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Different: I downloaded the manual, and read your scope mount FAQ (and added your site to my favorites). Thanks, that WAS easy!! And, I'd been over on Warrifles.com and read a 2 pg thread on why I need to pass on the SA scope mount.....enlightening to say the least. Thanks again. Greg
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 6:34:07 PM EDT
[#6]
No problem, Greg.  I'm glad you got the information and answers you were looking for.  Life is hard enough as it is.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 8:20:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Tag,

Different, I know it isn't tuesday, but please let me know the info about your book when it coms out.  I always am looking for a good read about firearms (I love the technical and historical stuff) and your book looks like something I would be very interested in.  

[ETA]  hmm, some of the M14 manuals are links to Subguns.net and you need a pssword to download them...anyone know what the password is?  Nevermind, found it- listed at the top of the page.  My reading comprehension is as bad as the average AR15.com member...
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 2:45:37 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Tag,

Different, I know it isn't tuesday, but please let me know the info about your book when it coms out.  I always am looking for a good read about firearms (I love the technical and historical stuff) and your book looks like something I would be very interested in.  

[ETA]  hmm, some of the M14 manuals are links to Subguns.net and you need a pssword to download them...anyone know what the password is?  Nevermind, found it- listed at the top of the page.  My reading comprehension is as bad as the average AR15.com member...

I don't like asking for money if I have nothing to sell in return.  When I have the first print run of books in hand (should be August 9th) I'll post a WTS ad in the PX Forum at www.m14forum.com with the appropriate ordering information.  Thank you for your patience.  I know I've run out of patience.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top