Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/5/2005 9:18:30 PM EDT
Simple question that needs no more explantion:  If you have your choice between a wood and synthetic M1A stock, which would you take?

Dawg
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 1:16:53 AM EDT
[#1]
I prefer synthetic stocks for one reason. When I scratch them, I can touch them up in a few minutes. And if I cut a gash in it, a little body work and I am back in business.

Link Posted: 8/6/2005 1:18:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Get Both!

I'd get a wooden stock because it looks so nice, and a synthetic because it's cheaper.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 1:35:15 AM EDT
[#3]
I took the walnut stock off my M1A and put a USGI fiberglass job on it after filling in the selector cut out and putting a nifty camo job on it.  (rugged stocks and cheap)
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 4:24:51 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Simple question that needs no more explantion:  If you have your choice between a wood and synthetic M1A stock, which would you take?

Dawg

I started out in synthetic, then bedded in NM walnut now I'm tension bedded in a SAGE.

I never really warmed up to the synthetic.

I loved the look and feel of my NM walnut.

I love the rock solid SAGE.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 4:47:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Just can't shoot straight with the synthetic, so I have a bedded Big Red Birch; shoots like a dream.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 4:49:35 AM EDT
[#6]
WALNUT
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 6:44:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Do what I did

I ordered a Excellent Birch from Freds..................Then I screwed it up trying to refinish it so I painted  OD
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 7:35:05 AM EDT
[#8]
SAGE, LOL...I am getting an Norinco M1A, and that fancy ass stock would cost as much as my rifle!

Basically I am looking at USGI stocks so I can install a USGI flash hider (US handguard + US stock + US mag + US flash hider = 6 US parts = all good and legal).  The Norinco has that nice "yuck" wood stock.  

I think I am leaning towards a Select grade Birch, as I don't mind redoing a little finsh work as long as it has DOD/P stamps to prove it is US made.  I guess for another $25 I could just get a synthetic too while I was at it and do an nice green and brown camo.  MOeny is tight, but I guess $25 really isn't much in the big picture, eh?  Of course then I will have three M1A stocks and only one rifle!

[ETA]  I assume that Synthetic are legal for CMP matches and the like?  (er, are Norincos legal for CMP matches?)  That would rpobably help answer some things for me...
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 7:45:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Synthetic... No (or less) warpage and swelling due to weather changes.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 8:03:38 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
SAGE, LOL...I am getting an Norinco M1A, and that fancy ass stock would cost as much as my rifle!

I face the exact same choice you face for my second build on a Norinco receiver.

I'm wanting a lightweight 18" dedicated iron sight rifle to go along with my fancy ass SAGE

Wood: I have a flawless NM walnut with a QD stud.
Synthetic: I have a plain brown GI synthetic stock.

What to do?

Sorry, can't help with with your CMP match questions...
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 11:27:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Synthetic painted like wood.

Ben
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 11:30:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Wood on an M1A/M14 is very aesthetically pleasing, but synthetic is more functional for hard use.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 12:07:35 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Synthetic painted like wood.

Ben

LOL!

Well, personally I think I am going to get one of each at this point and paint up the synthetic for Illinois camo.  Heck, M1A stocks from Fred's are cheaper than AR15 stocks, so it is hard to argue with the price!
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 1:15:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Wood for show. Synthetic for go.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 8:13:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Hey Dawg,

Synthetic is hands down the practical choice.

Wood is usually much better looking, but it has too many weaknesses, such as it swells, compresses if the trigger group is left locked in, and is more sensitive to scratching and gouges.

Sythetic is waterproof, hard to damage, and will not shift impact with the weather.  It is easy to cammo to suit you environment.

YES it is perfectly legal for CMP & NRA service rifle match shooting.

BIGGER_HAMMER

Link Posted: 8/6/2005 10:24:42 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Hey Dawg,

Synthetic is hands down the practical choice.

Wood is usually much better looking, but it has too many weaknesses, such as it swells, compresses if the trigger group is left locked in, and is more sensitive to scratching and gouges.

Sythetic is waterproof, hard to damage, and will not shift impact with the weather.  It is easy to cammo to suit you environment.

YES it is perfectly legal for CMP & NRA service rifle match shooting.

BIGGER_HAMMER
[smash[

Gosh, I didn't expect you of all folks to reply to this thread- I didn't think they let you leave the Shotgun Forum ever!

Let me just say when you offer an opinion I always listen, as you have yet to steer me wrong!  
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 11:39:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Dawg,

I am also doing a build up of a Polytech M14-S and aside from basic cleaning, putting the rifle in a plain jane U.S.G.I. sythetic stock I had sitting around in the garage shrank group size SIGNIFICANTLY.  - As in WOW that gun can shoot!

It has already made a big difference in my gun and the surplus sythetic stocks are cheap (oops I mean "inexpensive" too!)

Good Luck and Good Shooting to You!

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 7:45:52 PM EDT
[#18]
syn is the only way to go

cheaper
stronger
lighter
better lookin (YMMV)
wont warp
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 6:48:29 AM EDT
[#19]
Wood = Classic M14 look.  You can't beat the beauty of a nice wood stock.

Synthetic = Tough, durable, and easy to paint.  Also inexpensive.

Buy both and have the BEST of both worlds!
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 10:12:41 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Dawg,

I am also doing a build up of a Polytech M14-S and aside from basic cleaning, putting the rifle in a plain jane U.S.G.I. sythetic stock I had sitting around in the garage shrank group size SIGNIFICANTLY.  - As in WOW that gun can shoot!

It has already made a big difference in my gun and the surplus sythetic stocks are cheap (oops I mean "inexpensive" too!)

Good Luck and Good Shooting to You!

BIGGER_HAMMER

Sold!  I am getting a synthetic from Fred's as soon as my Norinco shows up.  I'll use the wood one that comes with it to practice refinishing and bedding, and get another wood one if I need something nice looking for "topcoat and tails" with the rifle.

Are you replacing any of the parts on the rifle beyond the stock?  
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:11:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Dawg,

I am going to "Go Legal" on my Poly M-14S's with a real G.I. "Muzzle device" / flashhider, U.S.G.I. complete trigger group (which gets you a bunch of U.S. parts count) and a New U.S. gas piston.  I had two G.I. Flash hiders parked in my parts bin in the garage, so both my Poly's will be getting the G.I. look. in their U.S. G.I. synthetic stocks (counts as handguard, stock and buttplate!)

I was following the "What Parts Do You Have To Add to Avoid Sect 922R thread here and I think I have it worked out for the time being!

I'll upload a picture sometime after I get my paint MoJo going on my sythetic stock!

See Ya' Round!

BIGGER_HAMMER

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top