Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/3/2005 6:45:08 AM EDT
My first Garand from the CMP posted as shipping on the e-store this morning!  I can feel the pangs of Garanditis that I've heard mentioned so often in this forum. And am already thinking about my next Garand.  How do you guys live with this addiction? Is there a cure?  
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 8:11:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Congrats and Stock up on good CMP ammo
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 8:32:00 AM EDT
[#2]
No Cure... and I wouldn't want one. Welcome to the madness... buy LOTS of ammo, you will be shooting it often.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 9:46:40 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
No Cure... and I wouldn't want one. Welcome to the madness... buy LOTS of ammo, you will be shooting it often.

100% AGREED!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 1:05:25 PM EDT
[#4]
My case of Lake City from CMP came yesterday. I don't have another day off until next Wednesday. I'm gonna have to wait a whole week to try her out.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 1:39:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Congrats man.

My Garand is more fun to shoot than any other...
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 2:38:18 PM EDT
[#6]
What grade did you order? (Rack Grade, service Grade, etc.)  Let us know how it looks when you get it and range report too!    Hearing about this makes my Garanditis flare up (got two here).  I will be within 100 miles of the CMP North Store next week, should I pay them a visit?????  Bought a Rack Grade Greek last year, might be nice to see what they have on hand now.   The Rack Grade (1955 HRA) was pretty rough, but I spent a bunch of money on it and made it a beauty.   Do they still put out nice ones now and then or have the best ones been sold long ago?
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 3:43:24 PM EDT
[#7]
  I bought a Service Grade SA Greek issue. They had the HR Greek issues for $550, but I thought that I read on this forum that there was a wait for them. I didn't want to wait.  I wish that I lived close enough to pay CMP a visit. I'd thought about a rack or field grade, but since this is my first one I decided to go for the service grade.  I'll definitely post pics and give a full range report.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 3:47:05 PM EDT
[#8]
" should I pay them a visit????? "  

I would suggest waiting til the National Matches are over.  There's a ton of rifle competitors up there and last weekend the racks looked pretty well picked over.  It was taking them almost an hour to process sales, because they had so many people in line.   If you do go, the plus is that alot of rifles are selling and they're refilling the racks fairly often.  

" Do they still put out nice ones now and then or have the best ones been sold long ago?"
Yes, there are still some diamonds in the coal pile.  I managed to pick up a FG and a RG that both had ME of less than 1.5 and TE of less than 2.25.  That was during the pistol small arms firing school (3 weeks ago), not so many rifle fans around at that time.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 3:49:10 PM EDT
[#9]
double tap
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 4:44:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Congratulations.  Remember Grease.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 9:23:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Vinnie935,
You did right in selecting the Service Grade, wish I had done the same for my second M1.

My first M1 was ordered back in 1993, took a full year from application date to delivery date.  I ordered  a SA Service Grade, back then they were $250.  It came to the house and was a quite nice 1944 SA with a 9-44 barrel (probably original?), and mostly SA parts, but an incorrect newer style gas tube, and  butt ugle stocks.   Being far enough from original I had no qualms in building it into a NRA Hi Power Match rifle with most of the NM tricks and sights, bedded in a laminated stock.   I had the work done by Arrington Accuracy.  Eleven years later, this M1 still shoots great with a sharp eyed nimrod behind it.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 5:20:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Picked up my rack grade Greek today. Stock and handguards don't match well but I'm looking at a shooter and not a collector piece. Already checked serial number and looks like it was made in May of 1945 and it falls within the M1C serial range.

Time from mailing the paperwork to my door was two and a half weeks. Wow!
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 9:53:48 PM EDT
[#13]
I started this addiction 21 years ago with my first DCM M1 that was $125.00 shipped.

I am now on my second big safe.

BUY TONS OF AMMO AND PARTS while you can.

Welcome to a VERY big club vinnie935.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 12:35:04 AM EDT
[#14]

It just artived today and it's better than I expected. Serial number is in the 5 million range. Looks like all matching walnut stock, HR bolt, SA barrel dated 54, SA op-rod, SA trigger housing, SA hammer, HR elevation knob, IH windage knob. I hope that some one can help with one slight problem. The tip of the op-rod is sticking inside the gas cylinder at the begining of the cycle. Its very hard to pull the op-rod from a closed bolt. I know that it's not the bolt because I just spent the last four hours stripping and cleaning it. I don't know much about Garands but I don't think that this is normal. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 3:45:10 AM EDT
[#15]
www.jouster.com/serial/serial.html

Manufacture dates by serial number.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 8:20:36 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
tinypic.com/a0xhyt.jpg

I hope that some one can help with one slight problem. The tip of the op-rod is sticking inside the gas cylinder at the begining of the cycle. Its very hard to pull the op-rod from a closed bolt. I know that it's not the bolt because I just spent the last four hours stripping and cleaning it. I don't know much about Garands but I don't think that this is normal. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

If the hammer isn't already cocked, the op-rod will have considerable resistance. Once the hammer is cocked, it should cycle a little bit easier. So if you haven't already tried it, try this; dry fire the rifle. cycle the action and note the amount of force needed. without dry firing, cycle it again and see if it takes less force. If you really think that the piston is hanging up in the gas cyclinder, strip the rifle and stick the op-rod inside the gas cylinder and see if the piston is over sized.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 9:48:57 AM EDT
[#17]
 Sukebe,  I followed your sugestion and it does seem that the piston is over sized. The piston only seems to stick right at the front of the gas cylinder. Right at the point where the bolt would just be beginning to unlock. I'm new to Garands, so is this a serious problem? How can I fix it?
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 1:37:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Clean the gas cyl. well and measure the piston. It should be no less than .525 in diameter. I've never heard of one being oversized. HTH.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 3:14:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Yes, you surely did get a nice looking M1!  
When you get the op rod issue resolved you can enyoy the fine old rifle.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 11:46:24 PM EDT
[#20]
I got another suggestion that the op- rod may be slightly bent. On closer inspection I'll be darned! The right side of the op-rod was just making contact with the entrance to the gas cylinder. Enough to bind the rod at that point when opening or closing the bolt. I took my friends suggestion and slightly began to bend the rod oppisite of the point where it was making contact. I did it just a small bit at a time and kept rechecking until finally, It's as smooth as glass. I have all of the wood off to strip and refinish. I'm following the method listed on Differents web site for refinishing an M14 stock. Seems to be going well so far. I'll post more pics as I contionue working on it.  
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 4:40:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Good Job!

Note to fellow Garand collectors:   Looks like we got another one hooked!   Garanditis lives on!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top