Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/31/2005 8:26:55 PM EDT
Hello, all.

I noticed on Springfield Armory's website that the SOCOM 16 is now available with an "urban camo" stock set.  Now, I'm not entirely sure where I stand on the color scheme, but I did notice that the "urban camo" version was pictured with what appeared to be a rubber buttpad in place of the more conventional M14-style metal puttplate/storeage compartment.  Is this rubber buttpiece new and standard on all SOCOM 16s, or is it--for whatever arcane reason--only available on the "urban camo" variant?

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 1:08:10 AM EDT
[#1]
No takers?  None at all?

I think I'll swallow my pride and email Springfield Armory, then.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 3:26:07 AM EDT
[#2]
As I recall ever since the Scout came out synthetic stocks had rubber butt-pads.
This trend continued when the SOCOM became available and continues with the II.

I do notice pictures on SAI's web site show a mixed bag of stocks with both butt-pads.
I guess you get whatever they decided to build it with.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 5:31:35 AM EDT
[#3]
My M1A standard came with the black synthetic stock and it has the rubber buttpad.

Yes, you may want to call or e-mail SA to verify the buttpad.  Maybe their pics are not up to date or maybe you can choose between the standard buttplate or rubber buttpad.

Let us know what you find out.  
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 7:15:02 AM EDT
[#4]
All SA Synthetic stocks are most likely bought striped of all metal, bare stock. SA adds a new or freshly rePark'd front loop and the John Masen rubber pad.

Most likely SA buys the Rubber Padsfor a couple bucks where a USGI Flip up in Like New condition is going to run them $15-20 plus hardware.

Karsten
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 9:01:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Email sent!

It read:

Hello,

My name is Brett Bass, and I'm a very satisfied owner of one of your XD pistols.  I once had the sights serviced by your company, and I was blown away with the quality of both your customer service and the work done on the pistol itself.  Your company seems to really know how to treat a customer, and before I dive into the meat of my questions, I just wanted to extend my thanks and appreciation for all of your hard work and professionalism.

That said, I have been considering a couple of your new products for purchase at some time in the future; your SOCOM 16 rifle and your "tactical" black stainless 1911A1 pistol.  My questions are in regards to these two products.

First, the "tactical" black stainless pistol.  It is stated as coming with Novak™ fixed sights of the three-dot variety.  Would it be possible to have these substituted for Novak™ tritium night sights as a cost-added option?  Also, I understand that for some reason, the weapon comes equipped with a small G.I.-style safety lever.  Would it also be possible to have this substituted for one of the more modern extended safety levers that seem to be more common in your product line?

Second, I have questions regarding the buttplate of your M1A SOCOM 16 series.  I have handled your SOCOM rifle at a (relatively) neraby gun shop, and noted that it came with an M14-style folding buttplate.  This is also the case with the photographs of the black-stocked SOCOM 16 that you have up on your webpage.  However, I have been informed that your synthetic stocks are now equipped with bubber buttpads.  In addition, the "urban camoflage" pattern SOCOM that you offer is pictured with the rubber buttpad rather than the metal buttplate.  While I am still undecided as to where I stand on the "urban camo" color scheme, I do believe that the rubber buttpad would likely be preferable to the M14-style butt.  Is this a case of allowing the customer choose which they would rather have on their rifle, or is it now standard operating proceedure to equip the synthetic stocks with rubber buttpads?  For some reason, is only the "urban camoflage" model equipped with the rubber buttpad?

Thank you in advance for your time, and once again for your top-tier customer service.

S/F
~Brett L. Bass

Link Posted: 8/2/2005 10:16:42 AM EDT
[#6]
You can actually switch the Rubber Pad for a USGI and vise a versa. The rubber pad works out better if you insert a dowel in the upper portion (hinge inset) to keep it inplace in the stock.

The picture of the black synthetic stock on their website does not have a USGI Flip Up but it is hard to see the black rubber pad against the black stock like you can against the Urban Camo pattern.

As for your questions about the 1911, they will do anything you want in the Custom Shop for the right price.

Karsten
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 5:39:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Really?  The pictures show a rubber buttpad?  Boy is my face red...

Thanks for the imput, though.  Quick question, however; when you state that you can switch out buttplate/buttpad on the fly, do you mean that it's a readily doable change, or that the rifle comes with both?
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 6:41:54 PM EDT
[#8]
SA uses a USGI Surplus stock so you switch the Rubber pad out for a USGI Flip Up Metal butt plate.

You can also add a Rubber John Masen butt pad to a USGI Walnut/Birch or even a Boyd's aftermarket stock if you wanted too.

Karsten

Link Posted: 8/3/2005 6:28:36 AM EDT
[#9]
I have sold a good number of M1A's though our shop, and they have ALL had the mil-spec, steel fip-up buttplate with the trapdoor.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 6:56:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for all the feedback, fellas.  Anyways, here's the response I received from Springfield Armory:

Mr. Bass:
Thank you for your words of support!  We are always happy to hear from
satisfied customers.  We appreciate your feedback.

In reference to your questions, our catalog items cannot be ordered with
differing options.  However, you could have Novak night-sights and an
ambi safety put on the Black Stainless through our Custom Shop.  The
SOCOM does come with the metal butt plate (the urban camo stock has a
rubber butt pad.)  You could purchase either butt plate separately from
us and install it after you have your SOCOM, but unfortunately it is not
possible to order the gun with a different butt plate.

I hope this answers your questions.  We really appreciate your support.

Respectfully,
Adam Jones
Regional Dealer Relations
Springfield Armory
420 W. Main Street
Geneseo, IL  61254
(Toll Free) 800-680-6866

Link Posted: 8/3/2005 7:03:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Humm, must be a new change with the SOCOM package only as I have 2 SA stocks here that came off Early SOCOM rifles....Learn something new every day and change is always a good thing.

Karsten
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 10:26:07 AM EDT
[#12]
I recall seeing they had the "BUSH" rifle with the gi butt contraption.  But that had some mossy oak break up or something like that on it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top