Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/30/2005 2:22:58 AM EDT
I have a verry highend shop, they traded for it  localy ,and on trades they allow a one year lay away, so I am paying the easy way, did I do Ok? I talked em down $100.  It's wood is a lil ughly (even new they were all like that). It came with two mags. and a wally world case. Looks great barel is bright no scratches. What do I need to know about these guns? It has SN in the 9000nds. Be helpful not hateful.

Got it!!!

Ok here are the best groups at 100 yds... some of these were shot with the range bezzle cranked to 800yds, The USGI front sight and FH must be higher than the chicom. I say this because even after reindexing the site the ghostring was up on its stem above the ears of the rear sight. The only fix was to take the front sight post down by 1/8th inch. I measured this by setting my rear sight as low as it could go, and applying a drop of superglue to the rear side of the front sight blade, and placing a single bristle off of my cleaning brush across the blade at about the height of the impact down range. I then fired to make shure this was my proper zero for this rifle sight. It was on. I took a file from my tool kit and  neatly removed 1/8 in from the front sight post, and then it was capable of battle sight zero at standard settings for the rear apeture. The sight worked well, I fired a total of 80 rounds.  Potugese. The above are the best groups, and the orange target at the top is my group vs the group of a brandnew out of the box SA SOCOM a fella at the range was trying out. Verry nice weapon, and the recoil is a little more stiff on that shorty. There are two rounds thru the same puncture from the SA. His gun was a dream to shoot scoped . But mine is sweet too can not wailt to get a scope mount for it. Wow this gun shoots well.

I did reindex the elevation knob but my first three rounds were 18 to 20 inches low at full elevation and there is no correcting that except to reduce the height of the front sight post. I did reindex the sights for their lowest possible setting before I took the front sight post down, and the ghostring was up above the ears of the site. Not a good thing. So I found the fix.
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 2:15:52 PM EDT
[#1]
I have one. Oaid $600 for it from a PP. You did good!
CH
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 2:23:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Good buy!

Except it's a M14

M1A is a Springfield Armory version of the semi-automatic M14

ETA:  Well, they DID make some auto's too...
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 12:57:32 PM EDT
[#3]
I'll give ya $600 for it
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 1:01:23 PM EDT
[#4]
they are a high quality rifle, though some(not all) had a problem with the bolt having an improper heat treatment resulting in soft bolts that will deform.  this is fairly easy to fix with a trip to a good smith and a USGI bolt.
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 1:02:31 PM EDT
[#5]
I'd say you did!

Now just send it to Fulton for their Chinese M1a Upgrade package and you'll have yourself a real shooter.  

loves me some M1as

BTW if the stupid import ban wasn't in effect we could be buying 4 new Norinco M1as for what ONE SA goes for...
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 1:03:54 PM EDT
[#6]
wow, I wonder how much trade in value they gave  to the guy who sold it      thats cheap
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 1:07:33 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
wow, I wonder how much trade in value they gave  to the guy who sold it      thats cheap

The shop didnt make him sell it.

1IV you did real good.!! Be happy about it.
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 1:37:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Good I figured I was not gettin hurt, and the guy who sold it was blissful with his ruger No1 in 416 rigby so I am shure everyone made out well.  I was wondering about portugese ammo is it any good for these? I can get battle packs for 34$ from a guy goin out of buisness.
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 1:39:04 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Good I figured I was not gettin hurt, and the guy who sold it was blissful with his ruger No1 in 416 rigby so I am shure everyone made out well.  I was wondering about portugese ammo is it any good for these? I can get battle packs for 34$ from a guy goin out of buisness.

The portugese ammo works great in FAL ... I'd get it if i were you ...
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 5:06:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Any one need a nice SAR1?

I put one on the EE.
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 5:15:32 PM EDT
[#11]
I used to have an M14s. I traded it , $75 and a case of portugese ball for my 16in. RRA.
It was a good shooter but I finally got what I always wanted. I kind of miss it though.
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 5:18:08 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I have a verry highend shop, they traded for it  localy ,and on trades they allow a one year lay away, so I am paying the easy way, did I do Ok? I talked em down $100.  It's wood is a lil ughly (even new they were all like that). It came with two mags. and a wally world case. Looks great barel is bright no scratches. What do I need to know about these guns? It has SN in the 9000nds. Be helpful not hateful.

Are these M1s actually made in China?
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 5:43:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Yes Made in China, imported in the 90s. At least that was when I first noticed them. I was playing with bolt guns then, and turned my nose up....Young and foolish. They were available at the same time the Norinco 1911s were.
Both were good /decent steel.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 4:30:54 AM EDT
[#14]
You got a great rifle at a great price.

I just purchased a Norinco barreled action from a fellow AR15.COM
member for $100.00 less than you paid for a complete working rifle.

Mine is a new, un-fired, heel stamped early 80's vintage receiver and barrel
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 4:51:04 AM EDT
[#15]
I am feelin pretty good about the whole thing.... So I need an extra bolt, and a new stock if I dont like ugly wood, and a M14 Key /  tool..... Will the SA scope mount work? Or are the knock offs better/ just as good?
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 5:49:10 AM EDT
[#16]
+1 on what everyone above said, except for the recommendation to send it to Fulton. They will find so much stuff "wrong" with your gun it'll end up costing you more than a new SA to "fix" it.

Start shopping now for a genuine USGI bolt, then send the rifle and bolt off to Warbird in Texas. He'll treat you right.

Near as I can tell, the Chinese receivers are actually MORE in spec for scope mounting than SA receivers.

You got a great deal, you'e gonna love the thing. After you get the bolt taken care of.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 6:12:28 AM EDT
[#17]
+1 on WarBird
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 6:18:59 AM EDT
[#18]
Congrats on the new addition!!!

Here is Warbirds website: users3.ev1.net/~hd80/Warbird.htm

He would be the best and by far the most reasonable M14smith to do your conversion

If you want to get a new stock for it, get one from www.fredsm14stocks.com/ and pick up some 25 meter AQT targets and get some good practice in
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 6:32:43 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Congrats on the new addition!!!

+1
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 7:02:44 AM EDT
[#20]
I bought a well used one for $ 300 OTD that had really bad headspace, I could move the bolt forward-backwards on a field gage !

If it is a Norinco with no markings but serial # on side of heel in the 9000 range you have a soft bolt Norinco. Post some pics if ya can...
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 8:59:45 AM EDT
[#21]
+3 on Warbird. He rebarreled and reparked a Garand in .308 for me here in Houston. Excellent work and a good guy.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 9:30:51 AM EDT
[#22]
Good deal!  Send it to warbird and he can change out the bolt.

Max
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 4:45:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Got it today after selling offa  SAR1 folder. ooo kay, I took it down, and the Bolt has the same green park as the flash hider. I am assuming the guy before me changed it out when he got a different FH. Also I got to pull the trigger a few times, It measures 7lbs and is smooth to release. So I friggin lucked out! I will send a range report with groups from a battle pac of Potugese I just got.

Markings

M14S   .308
IDE USA SFLD MICH
POLYTECH CHINA                         SN  (9000nds)               Made in China

Link Posted: 8/13/2005 4:51:18 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Are these M1s actually made in China?

Chinese semi-automatic M14 rifles were imported into the United States from 1988 to 1994.  The Chinese semi-automatic M14 rifles are made at State Arsenal 356 in Yunnan Province, People's Republic of China.  
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 6:00:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Congratulations! Nice rifle! Oh......by the way........Uh.......Is that a mirror on the wall behind you, or just a picture? If I didn't say it before, nice....uh.....rifle.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 6:07:54 PM EDT
[#26]
It an pic of the wall, has an signature on it.  What's up with the dog.  Look like he is thinking of something else beside the new rifle, like where's the beef.

Bob
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 6:09:41 PM EDT
[#27]
You guys are allll dogs, and no it is not a mirror. Yes my wife is that hot.   the dog did not want to be in the pic.. The 2 year old was pitchin his corn dog over the side of the highchair.. Bleaux loves him sum corndog droppins.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 8:11:32 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/13/2005 8:23:31 PM EDT
[#29]
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

That is freakin' hilarious!
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 8:34:46 PM EDT
[#30]
Nice Rifle.

Max
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 5:59:52 AM EDT
[#31]
I'd take it out for a test drive, when you do, keep an eye on the brass...also, look on the target..some of these shoot way to the right, meaning the barrel is slightly overindexed, Mine was, I had a 'smith at Armalite's store on commerical row at Camp Perry fix it for me, My rifle was running 10-12 clicks left to get 100yd zero.. If you send it to Warbird he can fix it up right  he did the bolt conversion on my rifle as well
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 6:49:20 AM EDT
[#32]
Coyotewillie is the who asked if it is an mirror or an picture.  I saw the signature and said picture.  The dog looks like he is saying where is the beef still

Bob the Nailer.  
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 7:39:30 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Got it today after selling offa  SAR1 folder. ooo kay, I took it down, and the Bolt has the same green park as the flash hider. I am assuming the guy before me changed it out when he got a different FH.

What are the markings on the bolt?
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 2:39:58 PM EDT
[#34]
Looked the bolt over. no markings,
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:37:10 AM EDT
[#35]
Check that! I found some markings! The numbers engraved 17662 can be read when there is no oil on the bolts under surface. So this number does not match the reciever SN... What are your two cents?
Looks like someone before me had the good sence to change the bolt. Scratch that, the number matches the oprod, and that means I am in the market for a bolt.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 1:10:47 PM EDT
[#36]
Range report!
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 1:17:12 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Check that! I found some markings! The numbers engraved 17662 can be read when there is no oil on the bolts under surface. So this number does not match the reciever SN... What are your two cents?
Looks like someone before me had the good sence to change the bolt.

Look for matching numbers engraved on your Op-rod and trigger group. My Poly Tech has similar engravings. The numbers on the op-rod and trigger group match. They don't match the serial number of the rifle. I don't know if the markings are from the factory or from the importer. My bolt was a USGI TRW bolt when I bought the rifle so I don't know if the original bolt was engraved with matching numbers or not.
If your bolt is a USGI bolt, it will be stamped on the top side of the bolt with the manufacturers code and drawing number.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 1:31:55 PM EDT
[#38]
Ok, now that I have the info on the bolt Vs the Oprod,  They do match... darn was hopeing I did not need to spend any money... But looks like I am gonna be in the market for a USGI bolt. Anyone out there have one for a bargain? Who has em, and what should I pay.

Also I have a synthetic stock on the way, and six more "type" 57mags. My chicom mags performed well, but that cosmoline on the one that was still bagged was grose. I had to get the carb cleaner out of the garage to get it off.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 4:58:15 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Ok, now that I have the info on the bolt Vs the Oprod,  They do match... darn was hopeing I did not need to spend any money... But looks like I am gonna be in the market for a USGI bolt. Anyone out there have one for a bargain? Who has em, and what should I pay.

Also I have a synthetic stock on the way, and six more "type" 57mags. My chicom mags performed well, but that cosmoline on the one that was still bagged was grose. I had to get the carb cleaner out of the garage to get it off.

Warbird's custom guns is the best deal going these days on the USGI bolt conversion. Don't go out and buy a bolt. He will try a few bolts and pick one that is the closest fit before final fitting. You may not need a bolt conversion. Before spending that kind of money, get your headspace checked with NATO gauges. Considering the price you paid for your rifle, you would still have a good deal even with the cost of a bolt conversion.

FWIW, cosmoline (grease) is not gross. It's just grease. Petro chemicals are our friends. Now if they packed their mags in human shit, vomit and phlem, that would be gross.

users3.ev1.net/~hd80/Warbird.HTM
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:14:36 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

FWIW, cosmoline (grease) is not gross. It's just grease. Petro chemicals are our friends.
Now if they packed their mags in human shit, vomit and phlem, that would be gross.

LOL!  You should write childrens books
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:02:45 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Ok here are the best groups at 100 yds... some of these were shot with the range bezzle cranked to 800yds, but I took a file from my tool kit and removed 1/8 in from the front sight post, and then it was capable of battle sight zero at standard setting. The sight worked well, I fired a total of 80 rounds.  Potugese. The above are the best groups, and the orange target at the top is my group vs the group of a brandnew out of the box SA SOCOM a fella at the range was trying out. Verry nice weapon, and the recoil is a little more stiff on that shorty. There are two rounds thru the same puncture from the SA. His gun was a dream to shoot scoped . But mine is sweet too can not wailt to get a scope mount for it. Wow this gun shoots well.

Ya know you could have just re-indexed the elevation knob after you got it zeroed.

Bubba !
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:04:22 PM EDT
[#42]
I do write stories for the children in us all, I write them in steel.
www.indelibleimages.net

Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:09:57 PM EDT
[#43]
I did reindex the elevation knob but my first three rounds were 18 to 20 inches low at full elevation and there is no correcting that except to reduce the height of the front sight post. I did reindex the sights for their lowest possible setting before I took the front sight post down, and the ghostring was up above the ears of the site. Not a good thing. So I found the fix.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 11:40:07 PM EDT
[#44]
Now pick up some 25 meter AQT's and give her a run.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 5:13:02 PM EDT
[#45]
Nice rifle, nice family, nice artwork!

Do you make a living from your art, and if not, where do you find the time to create it?

I want an M14!
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 3:52:25 PM EDT
[#46]
Great deal and nice looking dog to.  I have 2 polys a Lrb All TRW USGI built by warbirbird And a ARMCROPSUSA NM bedded stock match sites great shooter USGI parts a tack driver but they all are you can never have just one.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top