Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/28/2005 2:14:22 AM EDT
I am planning to buy an M1 Garand from the CMP, but I do not know if I want a service grade or a rack grade.  I plan to use it for plinking and informal target shooting.  I don't want a match gun, but I do want one that is fairly accurate and in good condition.  It will be my only Garand, so should I just get a service grade?  Please tell me about your experiences with buying from the CMP.  Did you get a rifle that was not the same grade as you wanted?  What about the stocks, did they need replacing?

Also, I live in Kalifornia.  Do any of you know if I have to jump through some extra hoops to get a rifle from the CMP?  Does it have to be sent to an FFL?
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 2:17:38 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm toying with the idea of a collector grade myself.
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 3:45:47 AM EDT
[#2]
spork,

Based on your requirement to only buy one... then definitely get a Service Grade.  That's your best shot at a good shooter right out of the box.

Going for a Rack Grade is really rolling the dice, unless you are willing to have it re-barreled if-when it comes in with a bad tube.

Just my thoughts,

Swampy

Garands forever
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 6:07:44 AM EDT
[#3]
+1 on the service grade.  You will likely get an excellent shooter.  While you MAY get a good shooter with a rack grade, you MAY not.  For the minimal price difference, there is no reason not to get the SG.  I don't think there are any extra hoops for Kalistan, but you can call the CMP and ask.  They have the best, and friendliest customer service of any outfit in the gun business.
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 11:55:52 AM EDT
[#4]
The barrel on my service grade H&R had a TE of 1!! Buy one, you won't be dissapointed.
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 11:58:37 AM EDT
[#5]
I'd recommend service grade without wood. The stocks are the weak point, but you can get new aftermarket replacements.
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 1:09:53 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I'd recommend service grade without wood. The stocks are the weak point, but you can get new aftermarket replacements.

True , but if you get the wood you also get all the hardware that goes with it.
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 1:33:03 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

True , but if you get the wood you also get all the hardware that goes with it.

The buttplates are usually pretty beat anyway, and you can't always get the handguard bands off without damaging them. It's not a big deal to order new metal for the stock, and it's kind of fun to finish inletting the new wood. You can find instructions on the internet. You'll end up with a nice tight fit that contributes to accuracy, instead of the usual mis-matched, dinged, oil-soaked mess you usually get with a rifle that's been used hard and then stored for fifty years.

Last but not least, if you order one without wood, sometimes they throw it in anyway.
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 1:37:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 1:52:16 PM EDT
[#9]

Thanks for the replies.  I will go with the service grade.

Now what about the difference between USGIs and Greeks?  

What about the non-Springfield rifles?  Right now the CMP is no longer taking orders for them, so there must be something special about them if they sell like that.
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 1:57:48 PM EDT
[#10]
I've heard good things in general about the Greeks, but it's a gamble either way. You might get a rifle that went into storage right after being rebuilt, or you might get one that was run over by a tank.

There's no difference in quality between the Springfields and the others, it's just that the former are more common. There's a demand for H&R's and Winchesters because many people think of themselves as "collectors". In reality, nothing you're going to get from the CMP is truly collectible, so just shoot it and enjoy.

It'll be like Christmas when you open the box.
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 2:20:24 PM EDT
[#11]
you will have no problem receiving a m1 here in california.  FedEx dropped mine off July 1st after ordering on June 22nd.  I ordered a field grade usgi springfield and got a pretty much all original parts, only non springfield part is the trigger guard in the 3.2mil range.

if you are set on a service grade, the CMP only has greeks left if that makes any difference.  
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 6:44:26 PM EDT
[#12]
I got a Greek H&R Service grade last month and it is in excellent shape.  Mine is a mid 50's manufacture serial number.

Link Posted: 8/3/2005 7:45:07 PM EDT
[#13]
bump

Anyone have any more info on US vs Greek, and different manufacturers?
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 8:55:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Some of the Greek rifles from the CMP, 03’s and M1’s, were refinished in Greece and have a shiny black finish instead of the typical US Gray/green Park. See an example on this thread.

p102.ezboard.com/fparallaxscurioandrelicfirearmsforumsfrm53.showMessage?topicID=4535.topic

I have gotten two shooter grade M1’s in the last year and they are both great examples of recently rebuilt US service rifles in full glory. Fresh park, original minty barrels, and decent (not excellent) wood. Every time I see a beat up M1 at the range I thank my lucky stars I got a shooter grade.

JR
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 12:40:10 AM EDT
[#15]
Is one finish better than the other?
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 3:06:55 AM EDT
[#16]
spork

Here are two more sites you can get your questions answered.

www.odcmp.org/new_forum/

battlerifles.ambackforum.com/
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 11:51:16 AM EDT
[#17]
+1 for service grade.  Double check to make sure the op rod isn't broken.  

Got an low 1 million SA with a '45 barrel that gauges 1 on the throat and .5 at the muzzle.  Don't know how that one slipped through the cracks.  The stock and handguards are almost black (deep, deep red), maybe that's why people passed it over on the racks at the north store.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 11:53:32 AM EDT
[#18]
One of my service grades is a real shooter.  The other one is an early WWII rifle that I don't shoot that often so I can't speak to its accuracy.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 2:09:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Go with a rack grade, hoping that you get a 6 digit WWII Springfield.

If in the future you decide to sell it you will defiantly get your money back.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 9:59:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Go with the service grade since you are only looking for one right now. That way you will have a shooter, it might not look pretty but it will have a good barrel. I got my SA GK SG about 3 weeks ago, the wood was alright, mismatch of parts and good barrel. I was pleased for the price. Since I got the orginal stock I'll refinish it and have the action/barrel reparked. Any lower grade will be a crap shoot. Plus remember you'll be getting history along with a forged receiver not cast like the new ones being sold. Get one now while they are around.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 10:11:38 AM EDT
[#21]
A different question... am I better off going directly to the CMP store and picking one in person, or doing it through the mail and letting them pick one for me? It's probably an entire day's worth of driving to/from for me so I'm looking for input. If it's that big of a benefit being there in person, I'll drive. If not, I'll do the mail thing. My drawback is I don't know diddly about what I'd need to look for in a Garand, other than aesthetics.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 10:55:53 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
A different question... am I better off going directly to the CMP store and picking one in person, or doing it through the mail and letting them pick one for me? It's probably an entire day's worth of driving to/from for me so I'm looking for input. If it's that big of a benefit being there in person, I'll drive. If not, I'll do the mail thing. My drawback is I don't know diddly about what I'd need to look for in a Garand, other than aesthetics.

Well, if you can go to the North store and buy one in person, I would definitely do that.  If you don't mind the driving that is.  When you get there, just look around and see if you find something you like.  If not, ask PeeWee or anyone working there what you are looking for and I'm sure they'll be more than willing to help you out.  If they don't have what you are looking for already in the racks, they would probably get something for you from the back.  Go to CMP North and click on the North Store forum.  These guys will answer all your questions for you.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 11:40:31 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, if you can go to the North store and buy one in person, I would definitely do that.  If you don't mind the driving that is.  When you get there, just look around and see if you find something you like.  If not, ask PeeWee or anyone working there what you are looking for and I'm sure they'll be more than willing to help you out.  If they don't have what you are looking for already in the racks, they would probably get something for you from the back.  Go to CMP North and click on the North Store forum.  These guys will answer all your questions for you.

Yeah, I don't mind the drive at all. I kind of like driving. I get 2 or 3 weekdays off every week so it's not a problem finding the time. I ought to find someone else who wants to go too so we can split the gas.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 2:46:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Yeah, I don't mind the drive at all. I kind of like driving. I get 2 or 3 weekdays off every week so it's not a problem finding the time. I ought to find someone else who wants to go too so we can split the gas.

Email me where you are in Illinois and I might be interested in making that trip with you.  I am just filling out the paperwork to order one but I wouldn't mind a roadtrip either.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top