Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/9/2005 4:49:24 PM EDT
Gentlemen, I am requesting your input regarding what to do with the work known as M14 Rifle History and Development. When the publisher will make the book available for print is unknown and I'll leave that subject at that. I know that a number of you have been waiting patiently for the book to be released. My patience has run out. I need some feedback/input from the M14 family.

Note -
A) The 12/28/04 version of the book is ~ 69,500 words long and is posted at www.imageseek.com/m1a
B) The 05/17/05 version of the book is ~ 91,930 words long and this is the version that the publisher has for publication.
C) The 07/08/05 version is ~ 98,800 words long.
D) No matter how well the First Edition is written I plan to issue a Second Edition in the future to incorporate responses and comments received from the First Edition.

This is for you so please vote. Profit is not my motive, telling the story of the M14 rifle is. I want to get it as accurate and complete as possible. I don't like holding back from you what I have found. Here are the choices:

# 1
a) Leave the 12/28/04 version of the book posted at www.imageseek.com/m1a
b) Continue the research and add to the book behind-the-scenes.
c) Make the book (05/17/05 version) available for sale whenever the publisher has it ready.

# 2
a) Ask sven to post the 07/08/05 version of the book NOW at www.imageseek.com/m1a
c) Make the book (05/17/05 version) available for sale whenever the publisher has it ready.

# 3
a) Ask sven to post the 07/08/05 version of the book NOW at www.imageseek.com/m1a
c) Do not approve the 05/17/05 version for publication and submit the 07/08/05 version as a revision for publication. This will add further personal cost to me but no additional cost to the buyer. It will further delay publication.

TIA,

Different
Link Posted: 7/9/2005 5:18:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Your name is not actually Sven, is it???  I got really confused reading this post as that is my first name, and I only ever met one other guy with it...
Link Posted: 7/9/2005 5:21:35 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Your name is not actually Sven, is it???  I got really confused reading this post as that is my first name, and I only ever met one other guy with it...

No, my name is Lee.  sven is the discussion board user name for the gentleman who owns the web site wwww.imageseek.com/m1a
Link Posted: 7/9/2005 5:38:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Differant , I will buy the Book any version avalible . I voted # 3 thinking Option B . Most for the least . recoup some $$$ then wam us w/ the Second edition w 7/15 stuff and whatever else is "new" . Your online book leaves anything else in the dust ... How do I get an autograghed copy ?

Edited to add maybe I read the options wrong , I agree w/ Screech . Get something out of it now , and follow up later , I was under the impression that 3 was a good to go except for Option C
Link Posted: 7/9/2005 5:49:58 PM EDT
[#4]
I voted #1 because I feel this is an incredible amount of information and YOU should be rewarded for your work. Keep adding and researching and hit us with a second edition down the road.
Link Posted: 7/9/2005 7:20:17 PM EDT
[#5]
I say #3 and get the most info out there you can, then the second edition after further research.

Tell Sven he will just have to build another rifle and I will supply him another stock to soften things up.

Note, Sven also hosts my website too

Karsten
Link Posted: 7/9/2005 7:23:53 PM EDT
[#6]
None of the above.
Leave the oldest online, send the latest revision to the publisher.
Link Posted: 7/10/2005 12:59:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/10/2005 11:17:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Lee, it is not fair that you do the work and get nothing.  Like Steve Camp with High Powers you are the Gander and we the Geese.  Can I send you some money, Pay Pal, et all,  Dan
Link Posted: 7/10/2005 1:09:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Thank you for the input so far.  It is helping me see the pros and cons of each option plus other options I had not considered.  Keep it coming!  
Link Posted: 7/10/2005 6:09:07 PM EDT
[#10]
#1 would by my choice as a Volume 1, the new research could always make a great Volume 2
Link Posted: 7/11/2005 11:33:30 PM EDT
[#11]
BTT
Link Posted: 7/12/2005 3:45:43 AM EDT
[#12]
Get a book out as fast as possible.  You already know a follow up is coming.   Anything off the first just makes more for the second.   IMHO
Link Posted: 7/12/2005 6:40:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Lee, Option three is my choice. Hold off on publication as there is much more to be told about the M14 story.  Cases in point: The forthcoming USG M-14 contracts, the major changes in the works for the USN MK14 Mod 0, together with yet another run of M14SEs for another Army division (details TBP), are all stories that should be recorded in due time.  
Link Posted: 7/12/2005 7:15:45 AM EDT
[#14]
Whatever works for you and gets the book published. Either way, I'll be buying one. And - Don't be embarrassed about making money off it. This IS America. Work should be rewarded.
Link Posted: 7/14/2005 3:18:52 PM EDT
[#15]
I voted for option #3.

Be sure to include this pic though...

http://www.imageseek.com/m1a/gallery/service/032_32?full=1
Link Posted: 7/14/2005 4:11:51 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I voted for option #3.

Thanks, gunpdr. Here's a direct link to the photo.

www.imageseek.com/m1a/gallery/service/032_32?full=1

After the book is made available for sale I'll let you know of a new connection the book M14 Rifle History and Development has to the Philippines.  It's amazing.

Link Posted: 7/16/2005 2:23:34 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I voted for option #3.

Thanks, gunpdr. Here's a direct link to the photo.

www.imageseek.com/m1a/gallery/service/032_32?full=1

After the book is made available for sale I'll let you know of a new connection the book M14 Rifle History and Development has to the Philippines.  It's amazing.

I was pleasantly surprised when I found this picture in your gallery - I am in the picture!

I have signed up for the group buy of your book - WR077 at warrifles.com.
Link Posted: 7/20/2005 9:22:02 PM EDT
[#18]
A book today, is better then the perfect book never written.
Link Posted: 7/20/2005 9:26:31 PM EDT
[#19]
#3.  Im a patient man, and it'll be worth it.
Link Posted: 7/21/2005 12:11:11 AM EDT
[#20]
Good comments from all, I appreciate it.  I found a local printer that can do the job with a two week turnaround.  I'm meeting with them today to give them the CD to print the books from.  So, I'm going to self-publish now using the July 21, 2005 version.  I'm finishing it up just before I go to the printer.

Since I'll be self-publishing check this board or www.m14forum.com, www.ambackforum.com, www.rifle-company.com and www.warrifles.com for details about getting a copy.
Link Posted: 7/21/2005 1:48:30 PM EDT
[#21]
The book is at the printer.  I should have the first production run of copies in two weeks.  
Link Posted: 7/21/2005 2:22:27 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
The book is at the printer.  I should have the first production run of copies in two weeks.  

I cant wait
Link Posted: 7/21/2005 3:18:28 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I cant wait

+1
Link Posted: 7/21/2005 8:41:49 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

WOOHOO!!!

The only hope you have is to accept the fact that you are already dead. And the sooner you accept that, the sooner you will be able to function as a soldier is supposed to function, without mercy, without compassion, without remorse.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 10:32:55 AM EDT
[#25]

Different, your book is now on sale.  Would appreciate if you can share its connection to the Philippines.  Thanks in advance!

Link Posted: 9/6/2005 1:51:08 PM EDT
[#26]

I'll buy a copy !
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 3:28:01 PM EDT
[#27]
If you're interested in a signed copy, the ordering information can be viewed at www.imageseek.com/m1a  
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 3:42:46 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Different, your book is now on sale.  Would appreciate if you can share its connection to the Philippines.  Thanks in advance!

gunpdr, thanks for ordering the book.  toolman9000 has shipped it to you.  I hope you enjoy it.

Well, to answer your question it is a little bittersweet but I'll share nonetheless.  I've decided to self-publish the book.  The book is now available.  Without going into details, the publisher I was working with hasn't worked out for me personally.

As it turns out, the publisher that I was working with, like many American companies, uses workers in foreign countries for Customer Service.  So, my Customer Service Representative (CSR) for the publisher I was working with lives and works in Cebu City, Philippines.  Her mom was in the Philippine Womens Army Corps and carried a M14 rifle for close order drill as a younger woman.  My CSR gave her mother a copy of my 03/26/05 version of the manuscript to read (without my knowledge ).  The CSR told me that her mother really enjoyed the book and it reminded her of her time in the Philippine WAC. I wasn't upset but pleasantly surprised.  Mrs. Different, who is also from Cebu City, got a chance to speak with the CSR a couple times.  It's a small world as the saying goes.  Just to be clear, Miss Rebecca, my CSR was very helpful and is not in any way responsible for my decision to end the business relationship.

As a FYI, the online 12/28/04 version of my book at the web site is 71,000 + words.  The 03/26/05 version was 87,000 + words and the 05/17/05 revision was 91,000 + words.  What is available from me today in book form is the 07/21/05 version at 102,100 + words.  The master manuscript for the book continues to grow and is presently at 108,101 words.  
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 7:35:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Different - thanks for the reply - small world indeed!

I am patiently waiting for the book as it will probably take weeks to get here.

If you pass by Manila during your visit/trips to Cebu, let me know and we can have a cold one.

I am in the process of having my TRW M14 double lugged.  I now have the front and rear lugs and presently researching the welding process.

I am looking forward to the next edition of your book - hopefully with pictures

Link Posted: 9/6/2005 11:55:38 PM EDT
[#30]
gunpdr, sounds good to me.  I'll take a San Miguel. Enjoy that TRW M14!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top