Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/24/2005 9:26:58 AM EDT
Does anyone know about the Springfield Armory muzzle break? Is it a part subcontracted by Springfield like the sights or do they make it themselves. Any ideal where I can get one? I imagine they just cut down a USGI barrel and weld or pin it on. Thanks Medic17

Hello All first time posting in here. So HI. Anyway I have an SA M1A and was debating about turning it into a SOCOM. I really like the rifle (M1A) and I do not know if I want to chop it up. On the other side the SOCOM is very appealing. I know I can get the stock, sights, mount, however I am unsure about the muzzle break. Is it something Springfield is selling seperatly?  Unfortunaly on a medic's pay rate I cannot afford both.  Decesions Decesions. Any imput would be valued.  
Link Posted: 6/24/2005 11:33:41 AM EDT
[#1]
I think you would have to change the barrel as the SOCOM's muzzle break IS part of the barrel.

One suggestion would be to try to sell your M1A and get the best price you think you can from it and then buy a SOCOM.  Sometimes I have been able to trade-ins at gun show that were better then selling and buying and a LOT less hassle. But I am sure you will take a beating either way.

I can tell you that a SOCOM is a lot of fun. Especially if you get a stock that has a pistol grip. But you are looking at $2K easily 'modding' a SOCOM.

Or just keep your M1A and save up for a SOCOM. Who knows, maybe you will run into a used deal!
Link Posted: 6/24/2005 2:40:52 PM EDT
[#2]

FWIW - I've got a couple of Standard and Loaded M1A's, and a SOCOM.  Sold my scout recently - it had no real appeal to me.  Frankly, the SOCOM is loosing it's appeal as well...

Don't butcher your Standard - it's as good as it gets...

YMMV
Link Posted: 6/24/2005 2:48:51 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
FWIW - I've got a couple of Standard and Loaded M1A's, and a SOCOM.  Sold my scout recently - it had no real appeal to me.  Frankly, the SOCOM is loosing it's appeal as well...

YMMV

Why is your SOCOM loosing appeal to you ?  Good/bad  or just not to your likeing
Link Posted: 6/24/2005 3:08:08 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

YMMV

Why is your SOCOM loosing appeal to you ?  Good/bad  or just not to your likeing

Reminds me some people stick with plain Jane AR, others like fully accessorized AR.
Link Posted: 6/24/2005 3:23:10 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

YMMV

Reminds me some people stick with plain Jane AR, others like fully accessorized AR.

Guess I'm just a something of a traditionalist.  All the bells, whistles, gimmicks and geegaws are pretty much just that AFAIC.  My wood stocked 22" barrel M1A's have much greater appeal to me...

Again, YMMV
Link Posted: 6/24/2005 4:18:19 PM EDT
[#6]

I think you would have to change the barrel as the SOCOM's muzzle break IS part of the barrel.

Mines not. It comes right off.

Guess I'm just a something of a traditionalist. All the bells, whistles, gimmicks and geegaws are pretty much just that AFAIC.

For the most part, I tend to agree, although as I get older, those Aimpoints sure are sweet.I've had standard size NM rifles, the Bush rifle when they first came out and now the SOCOM. Of the three, I like the SOCOM the best, but basically as it comes. I did add an Aimpoint and an extended bolt stop, (which should be on every M14/M1A as far as I'm concerned) but the SAGE type stocks or the new SOCOM II do nothing for me. The SOCOM isnt really any lighter than the others, but its a lot handier with the short barrel. Its not a target rifle and its not trying to be and its more than adequate for realistic ranges.
Link Posted: 6/24/2005 4:32:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Hey there you go.......Someone is getting tired of their SOCOM. Make an offer....I love mine....
Link Posted: 6/24/2005 4:45:06 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted: Don't butcher your Standard -

I agree.
If you want a short barreled M14 type rifle buy or build what you want but leave your standard as is.
Keep it if you can/want or sell it to finance a shorter one.
Link Posted: 6/25/2005 5:51:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks All for the advice. Any ideal on what a used one is going for? As a side note I would keep it stock for the most part. I am not big on the bells and whistles. Granted I think the Sage is nice however its not for me. I think it is one of thoes cool factor things but I would not use it in the real world. Maybe if I had to clear some buildings in Berut, but I do not forsee myself doing that any time soon.  Do you think Springfield will do any upgrade programs like they have done in the past with the National Matches? Ie send in your rack grade and a couple of hundred and they will send you back a M1A super match, built on your receiver? Thanks
Link Posted: 6/25/2005 12:49:35 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Do you think Springfield will do any upgrade programs like they have done in the past with the National Matches? Ie send in your rack grade and a couple of hundred and they will send you back a M1A super match, built on your receiver? Thanks

Don't know but the ladies in Customer Service at www.springfield-armory.com are super nice.  Ask them if the Custom Shop could upgrade your M1A.  1-800-680-6866 Monday through Friday

Link Posted: 6/25/2005 5:48:30 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Thanks All for the advice. Any ideal on what a used one is going for?

I bought mine used a few weeks ago for $1350. Well, not really, that's what it was marked, but since I'm an employee i got it for less.
Link Posted: 6/25/2005 8:20:37 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm considering turning in my Bush Folder into a Socom but only because I have a full length/unbutchered rifle as well.  If you only have one, I recommend staying with full length.  Once you go below 18" in .308, the velocity will start to suffer significantly.
Link Posted: 6/25/2005 8:53:04 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
If you only have one, I recommend staying with full length.  Once you go below 18" in .308, the velocity will start to suffer significantly.

I agree completely. I have a 2.5" barreled .357 magnum which I like a lot, but I would not want it for my ONLY .357.

Frankly, I just don't see the appeal of the SOCOM at all. I handled a shorty Fulton today and it was real sweet but I would not want to go smaller than that.
Link Posted: 6/25/2005 10:43:26 PM EDT
[#14]
As far as velocity goes I belive it looses 50 fps an inch. So if I am not mistaken it shoud be 300 fps slower than a full legnth barrel.  Anyway, I dont plan to shoot it beyond 300 yards. In CT you really do not get the chance for long shots. If I am correct the longest rifle range around here is only 200 yards.   I have land owner permission and I can get just over 300, even being on private land thats hard to come by. I think I will sit on the ideal a little longer. I would hate to chop my favorite rifle and regret it.
Link Posted: 6/26/2005 2:57:17 PM EDT
[#15]
I paid $1280 for my previously fired SOCOM Looked brand new. It came with the factory mag, two 20 rd mags ,Sling(nice) and harris bipod. Purchased about a month ago.
Link Posted: 6/27/2005 1:52:26 PM EDT
[#16]

How did you mount your bipod stud to the SOCOM stock?

My Harris mounting stud/assembly does not work to the SOCOM stock. The mounting plate is too big/thick and there is no clearance between the plate and the gas cylinder.

Link Posted: 6/27/2005 3:48:59 PM EDT
[#17]
It was mounted when I bought it, but the female plate is about an 1/8" thick on mine. There is a small recatagular recess in the stock located just foward of the sling swivel screws, the plate fits in it perfectly. Mine does not interfere with the gas system at all. Hope that helps, If you need pictures let me know.
Link Posted: 6/27/2005 4:43:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Sounds like the female plate has been fitted for your stock because mine is larger than the stock's recess. As a result, it cannot fully sits on the recess area.
Link Posted: 6/27/2005 10:35:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Welcome to the board, Medic17.

I would suggest that you either stick with the 22 inch barrel (I'm delighted with mine), or, if you just gotta have a shorter barrel, get an 18 inch barrel. Seems alot more useful to me that a 16 inch.

Just my two cents.
Link Posted: 7/1/2005 6:15:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Btt
Link Posted: 7/1/2005 7:28:13 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Does anyone know about the Springfield Armory muzzle break? ...Any ideal where I can get one? I imagine they just cut down a USGI barrel and weld or pin it on. Thanks Medic17

The MB/front sight/gas lock assemby has different threads than the GI gas lock.  The back pressure from the MB helps the 16" barreled rifle's gas system operate.

Call Troy Industries.  They have the complete front ends that they removed off new, unfired factory SOCOMs. (413) 243-9315

Take Care,

Tony
Link Posted: 7/1/2005 10:11:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Hm, what's Troy going to put on the SOCOM16's muzzle since they removed it?  I'm dying to replace the brake on mine, I hate brakes!
Link Posted: 7/2/2005 1:07:43 AM EDT
[#23]
Law... you the man. Thanks For the Info.
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 7:22:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Tag
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 8:39:30 PM EDT
[#25]
So Troy Ind. removed the brake from unfired SOCOM16....that means they put something else on it?  Did they develope a new front sight/brake or flash hider for it?  I hope so...
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 12:38:09 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Maybe if I had to clear some buildings in Berut,  

If you were to clear buildings in Beruit, I would recommend upgrading from an M1A to an M1ABRAMS

I love both of my M1As. But, if I wanted a 16 inch carbine chambered in 308WIN/7.62NATO, I would go with an F A L. Cutting an F A L down to 16 inches is as simple as cutting and recrowning the barrel and reaming the gas port out a bit. All of which can be done at home with a few hand tools.  Plus the sight radius stays the same. You can get 5 F A Ls mags for the price of 1 M1A mag and all of this can be had for less than half the cost of a SOCOM. A home built SOCOM is not going to retain much of it's value if you ever need to sell it. Cutting an F A L down to 16 inches will not alter it's value one way or the other. Just something to think about.

Link Posted: 7/29/2005 1:48:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Check out TROY ind. They make a 10 and a 14 inch barrell for their M1A.....
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 12:34:56 PM EDT
[#28]
Maddogkiller
I just sold my FN Fal. I could not stand that rifle. (I think it was more of a personal thing I am not saying its a bad rifle.)
I could not jam the rifle however its sights were to be desired, and there was just something about it I didnt like.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 9:57:07 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Maddogkiller
I just sold my FN Fal. I could not stand that rifle. (I think it was more of a personal thing I am not saying its a bad rifle.)
I could not jam the rifle however its sights were to be desired, and there was just something about it I didnt like.

Ok, so retract my recommendation of the F A L, but I stand by my opinion of upgrading to an M1ABRAMS for the structure clearing
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 6:10:25 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
So Troy Ind. removed the brake from unfired SOCOM16....that means they put something else on it?  Did they develope a new front sight/brake or flash hider for it?  I hope so...

===================

Yes, details, please!!!!!  I have long suspected that SA's odd-ball threads on the SOCOM's muzzle brake/FSH was designed to curtail/minimize/delay the development of aftermarket muzzle brakes.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 6:23:53 AM EDT
[#31]
Really?  I'd hate to think SA had the sinister concept behind their odd ball muzzle and thread design
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 12:17:02 PM EDT
[#32]
tag
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 2:15:15 PM EDT
[#33]
The SOCOM is threaded 43/64---40TPI RH

USGI BBL's are 43/64---20TPI RH

Link Posted: 8/7/2005 3:04:51 PM EDT
[#34]
Understand, but what is the thread/pitch of the interface for the muzzle break to gas lock?
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 3:54:52 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
I have long suspected that SA's odd-ball threads on the SOCOM's muzzle brake/FSH was designed to curtail/minimize/delay the development of aftermarket muzzle brakes.

Funny, if a company from AZ did this it would be "innovative and proprietary."
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 3:55:00 PM EDT
[#36]

Understand, but what is the thread/pitch of the interface for the muzzle break to gas lock?

Huh...?

The SOCOM brake is the lock. It's one piece.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 4:11:44 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
I have long suspected that SA's odd-ball threads on the SOCOM's muzzle brake/FSH was designed to curtail/minimize/delay the development of aftermarket muzzle brakes.

The thread pitch is a moot point. Any aftermarket replacement muzzle device will be unique since it has do to do 3 jobs instead of 1. (lock----brake and/or flash hider----front sight mount) You're not modifying an existing part------------you're designing a new part.

When the part is designed and mfg'ed the machine doesn't care what the pitch is--------it's just another part of the program.

Link Posted: 8/7/2005 7:37:30 PM EDT
[#38]
Just from looking at the above pic, I'd bet a hunerd dollers that that thread pitch is 32 TPI. The same pitch as an M1 Garand gas plug. I don't have a thread pitch guage with me at this minute, but I'd bet that it is the same pitch as the M14 gas plug too.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 8:06:47 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Just from looking at the above pic, I'd bet a hunerd dollers that that thread pitch is 32 TPI. The same pitch as an M1 Garand gas plug. I don't have a thread pitch guage with me at this minute, but I'd bet that it is the same pitch as the M14 gas plug too.

I will IM my address to you so you know where to send my $100...

The size was measured with digital calipers and Brown & Sharpe 4-84 Thread Pitch Gauge.

The thread pitch on the M14 gas plug is 35/64---40TPI RH

The thread pitch is immaterial-------unless you plan on trying to screw a M1 Garand and/or M14 gas cylinder on the muzzle of a SOCOM...
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 1:34:19 AM EDT
[#40]
OK, new question...

I've read extensively from the usual assortment of pundits that SA, Inc. modified the gas system on the SOCOM.  Both cylinders appear to be identical, as do the pistons.  In what way is the SOCOM gas system different from Standard (other than the aforementioned brake), or is this just conjecture and perpetuation of another internet myth?

Same goes for the op rod...

TIA
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 5:35:59 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Huh...?

The SOCOM brake is the lock. It's one piece.

------------------------
Ah hah, now I understand...one piece construction.  Haven't handled a SOCOM personally, so I was confused on that point.  Thanks for clarifying.  Clear what now has to be done.  
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 1:04:09 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
OK, new question...

I've read extensively from the usual assortment of pundits that SA, Inc. modified the gas system on the SOCOM.  Both cylinders appear to be identical, as do the pistons.  In what way is the SOCOM gas system different from Standard (other than the aforementioned brake), or is this just conjecture and perpetuation of another internet myth?

TIA

As far as I can tell, these other components of which you speak are the same as a standard M1A.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 3:20:26 PM EDT
[#43]
The gnomes are now at work.  Stay tuned.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 7:43:33 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
OK, new question...

TIA

The piston, gas cylinder and plug are all USGI spec. The gas port in BBL is slightly larger. The SOCOM measured at .087------------USGI average around .076.

The Op Rod just has "SOCOM" engraved on it. Otherwise it's standard Springfield Inc mfg'ed Op rod.

The "Tri-Brake" isn't even a closed expansion chamber type ------It's straight through at .368 ID
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 6:34:54 PM EDT
[#45]
You know..... it is nice to see that I am not the only one here pulling out my hair about this. I have big ideas for my Socom 16 also. Keep up the work guys.... I will be watching and reading

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:05:14 PM EDT
[#46]
Indeed -- stay tuned. Exciting things are headed down the pike.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 1:31:45 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:
OK, new question...

TIA

The piston, gas cylinder and plug are all USGI spec. The gas port in BBL is slightly larger. The SOCOM measured at .087------------USGI average around .076.

The Op Rod just has "SOCOM" engraved on it. Otherwise it's standard Springfield Inc mfg'ed Op rod.

The "Tri-Brake" isn't even a closed expansion chamber type ------It's straight through at .368 ID

Thanks for clearing up this urban legend...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top