Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/24/2005 4:37:35 PM EDT
1. Is $690 too much? Keep in mind that this is in a regular gunstore not a gunshow. -still half the price of a baseline SA M1A. I've read in another thread that the Norinco's are selling for $400 at gunshows, but i did'nt see any at the last i went to. I suppose i could just order one, but the gunstores near me will likely mark it up 30-40%.

2. The rifle is fitted with a fake flash suppressor. Can this be legally changed to a mil-spec FS.-without to much work. I dont think it was welded on.

3. Is the Rifle Mil-spec in that it could accept any USGI replacement part.

4. What kind of accuracy could i expect from the rifle using surplus and factory ammo? Im not expecting a tac-driver, I really just want to experience the M14 rifle to see how they are...

5. Is the Polytech a decent enough rifle or will i be likely be dissapointed.

6. What is a good scope mount?-plan to attach a more traditional scope...or perhaps i should ask what are the top 5. including low-profile as well as ones that allow you to use your irons.

Link Posted: 5/24/2005 5:23:38 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
1. Is $690 too much? Keep in mind that this is in a regular gunstore not a gunshow. -still half the price of a baseline SA M1A. I've read in another thread that the Norinco's are selling for $400 at gunshows, but i did'nt see any at the last i went to. I suppose i could just order one, but the gunstores near me will likely mark it up 30-40%.

2. The rifle is fitted with a fake flash suppressor. Can this be legally changed to a mil-spec FS.-without to much work. I dont think it was welded on.

3. Is the Rifle Mil-spec in that it could accept any USGI replacement part.

4. What kind of accuracy could i expect from the rifle using surplus and factory ammo? Im not expecting a tac-driver, I really just want to experience the M14 rifle to see how they are...

5. Is the Polytech a decent enough rifle or will i be likely be dissapointed.

6. What is a good scope mount?-plan to attach a more traditional scope...or perhaps i should ask what are the top 5. including low-profile as well as ones that allow you to use your irons.

In order:

1. That sounds about right for now. I paid $750 for mine, which wasn't that good of a deal, and I got a synthetic stock for it as well.

2. Federal law requires that the rifle have a certain number of american made parts for the imported rifle to have a flash suppressor. I'm probably going to put a muzzle brake on mine and have done with it. It is quite easily removed.

3. I think it accepts almost all SA parts.

4. Accuracy depends a lot on how the barrel has been treated before I think. Mine does 2-3 inches at 100 yards, which is about as good as my poor eyes will allow.

5. Many despise them and call them forgeries, and they are forgeries, but these people tend to have never owned one. Currently, Springfield Armory has what appears to be a shitty quality control program, and lets some bad rifles slip by, including some with misspelled names on the receivers and some that appear to be crooked receivers. They do have an excellent warranty department though, and they seem to be willing to try to make them right. SA uses cast receivers now, where the chinese ones are forged, and stronger, but I doubt that matters a whole lot.

6. Scope mount on a 14?? Never tried one.

Answer to some of your questions here. I forgot about the bolt problem.

Click here
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 5:51:30 PM EDT
[#2]
I believe you will find the Poly Tech to be an excellent rifle. Provided it was treated well. I bought one in 1992, and I have had zero problems through it. I am in the process of tinkering with it though, to improve accuracy. The rifle, as it is made, is basically rack grade and should shoot 2 to 3 inch groups at 100 yards.  With a shim kit and some trigger work it is easy to cut that in half. Most of the rifle will accept milspec parts, with the exception of: barrel gas tube threading, gas tube lock ring, and flash suppressor nut threading, bolt.  Having said that, the receiver will accept USGI barrels and after market barrels (go figure).  I don’t want to play the game of which rifle is better or worse, but the Poly Tech is a good serviceable rifle, and should give you little trouble.  Report ably, the weak link in the rifle is the bolt.  It has been said they are soft, and the firing pins may not be mil-spec.  I am going to have my bolt changed out, as soon as it gives me the first sign of trouble (1k rounds through the weapon so far). In addition the wood stock that comes with the rifle is dimensionally incorrect.  Do yourself a favor and pick up a used USGI fiberglass stock for about $20.  It’s a simple, cheap, drop in upgrade, that will also aide in accuracy.  In regard to scope mounts; I use an ARMS 18, that fits like a glove (perfectly).  There are other mounts out there that should work fine; I have had good luck with the ARMS though.  Just don’t buy the Springfield Arms mounts (for a Poly).  They are not made to mil-spec (at least I don’t believe they are), and the one I had (Gen I) did not index properly to my receiver- had to pitch it. Oh the other thing you will hear is the finish stinks.  It’s basically just a green/gray parkerized finish.  Reminds me of the Remington Rand I carried in the service. It works- shoot it, and enjoy.
MB
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 6:27:39 PM EDT
[#3]
The previous two posters gave you good information.

I'm currently working on a Polytech myself. The stock bolt on mine had VERY generous headspace and produced flattened and pierced primers from the beginning. I swapped it out for a USGI bolt (TRW). The GI bolt dropped right into mine and headspaced fine but I understand that this is a rare exception--almost always it is necessary to have someone who really know what he's doing fit a USGI bolt into a Chinese rifle. The gun is shooting fine with the GI bolt. Can't speak to accuracy yet, as so far I've only shot it with the Chinese stock. I hope to shoot it in USGI walnut and plastic stocks soon, perhaps as soon as this weekend.

The USGI bolt conversion is not cheap--you can plan on spending $200-250 or more if you have to have one fitted. And I WOULD plan on making the swap sooner or later, even if your gun specs and shoots okay now. Oh, and DO have the headspace checked before you fire the first shot in it.

$690 sounds like a decent price. You can get a bolt and have it fitted and a good GI stock or two and still be well under the price of a SA. And you'll have a forged receiver rifle.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top