Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/29/2005 11:22:08 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/29/2005 5:44:05 PM EDT
[#1]
The best current production scope mount is the one mage by Smith Enterprise.  Problem is it may or may not  fit your gun properly.  Springfield INC only garuntees that their POS scope mount will fit their sometimes out of spec recievers.
Link Posted: 3/30/2005 12:49:41 AM EDT
[#2]
I’ve got the Smith Enterprise mount on one of my M1As and I love it. Very Strong and very sturdy, it’s an excellent mount. I’ve also heard that the ARMS mount is supposed to be top notch, but I’ve never had a reason to check it out. Beware of the Springfield Armory Inc. mount, when you cinch em down they tend to bend.

Link Posted: 3/30/2005 2:14:37 AM EDT
[#3]
I like my ARMS #18 Old Style.
Link Posted: 3/30/2005 5:43:02 AM EDT
[#4]
The ARMS "old style" Is the best in my opinion. It looks as though it is part of the receiver. Very low profile, does not stick out like a sore thumb as the others tend to. If you use QD rings, you can use your irons without removing the scope mount or having to look thru some tiny tunnel in the mount. You won't even know it is there when the scope is off. Also is rock solid.
Link Posted: 3/30/2005 10:37:34 AM EDT
[#5]
What is the difference between the Arms #18 old style and new style?

Link Posted: 3/30/2005 2:32:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Ive got a Smith on my M1A. I think its only some of the very recently made M1As from Springfield that have problems with scope mounts. I think the Springfield mount is just darn ugly compared to the Smith. Also, you can still use your iron sights with the Smith.
Link Posted: 3/30/2005 2:48:52 PM EDT
[#7]
the old arms mount had an empty space in the middle that did not obstruct the path of the ejecting brass.

The new design has a full picatinny rail.

As i know the new design works just as well and alows you more options in mounting things.
Link Posted: 3/30/2005 3:38:40 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
the old arms mount had an empty space in the middle that did not obstruct the path of the ejecting brass.

The new design has a full picatinny rail.

As i know the new design works just as well and alows you more options in mounting things.

With the new style you can use the #22M68 to mount an Aimpoint.

With the old style you have to find another alternative.
Link Posted: 3/30/2005 7:31:29 PM EDT
[#9]
I have an old style ARMS 18 and love it as well. To add to what Jeepster said above my only other gripe with the ARMS 18 is that it is weaver and not picatinny.
Link Posted: 3/31/2005 2:27:40 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I have an old style ARMS 18 and love it as well. To add to what Jeepster said above my only other gripe with the ARMS 18 is that it is weaver and not picatinny.

I have to give credit where credit is due - Scott warned me of that problem with the #18 Old Style.

But it's still a good mount.  The open top won't interfere with ejection.
Link Posted: 3/31/2005 7:03:31 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
The ARMS "old style" Is the best in my opinion. It looks as though it is part of the receiver. Very low profile, does not stick out like a sore thumb as the others tend to. If you use QD rings, you can use your irons without removing the scope mount or having to look thru some tiny tunnel in the mount. You won't even know it is there when the scope is off. Also is rock solid.

Any pics to compare? Is the "old style" still around? Or is it rare...
Link Posted: 3/31/2005 9:46:14 PM EDT
[#12]
The Brookfield Precision Tool scope mount is/was supposed to be the "standard" for years. I'm not sure anymore what the best is?
I'll be selling off one of the BPT mounts pretty soon so I can start planning on some galss for the other mount.
Good luck.
M
Link Posted: 4/1/2005 3:01:18 PM EDT
[#13]
I had a second gen springfield mount on my poly, and it would not index properly with the reciever. I could not get the rig to hild zero.  The mounting screws were made of such poor metal they actually bent when I tried to sinch up the bracket.  I round filed it!  I recently purchased a ARMS 18 from SWA.  It was ordered 4PM EST, on Tuesday and arrived at my door noon on Friday.  The mount is well made and indexed perfectly to my reciever.  It is a very sold rig.  It is low profile and actually looks like it belongs on the weapon.
MB
Link Posted: 5/4/2005 10:42:15 AM EDT
[#14]
I just ordered a Smith mount for my m1a.  Can't wait to get my 4.5x14x50mm Leupold mounted!
Link Posted: 5/5/2005 1:56:47 PM EDT
[#15]
A.R.M.'s Low profile, top notch, and 3 point mounting system.
Link Posted: 5/5/2005 2:03:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/5/2005 4:17:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Smith Enterprise, Inc M14 NSN mount -- rock solid; bulletproof and the mount bought in quantity by the Armed Forces.  If you're thinking of mounting an especially long scope, you might consider their new Extended Rail Mount, although most of those are going directly to the military.  I'm lucky enough to have  both.  
Link Posted: 5/14/2005 4:37:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Changed to New Post.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 7:55:29 AM EDT
[#19]
I have used a "cheapo" B-Square mount, a Springfield 3rd Gen. Mount, an ARMS#18 mount, and currently use a Smith Enterprises mount.

Out of them all I like the Smith mount the best.It has a longer rail then the ARMS #18, and sits high enough so that ejected cases don't hit the mount.

Several ARMS #18 owners I know have had a problem with cases hitting the bottom of the ARMS mount and causing a stoppage.

Buy a Smith or ARMS #18 mount.

SKBY.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 3:21:36 PM EDT
[#20]
+1 to what Skullboy said about the SEI NSN mount.  I've used both the ARMS 18 and the Smith.  The SEI mount is built like a tank and has a better mounting system than the ARMS 18.  Having the see-through option for irons is another advantage over the ARMS.  Although I have not heard much feed back, there is another company, SADLAK, that offers a Brookfield-based design that comes in steel and titianium.    

SADLAK is also offering some other nice M14/M1A stuff like a TiN coated gas pistons, NM op rod spring guides (I use these and they are nice!), gas system clean-out tools, and a gas system wrench.   I don't work for them, but it is good to see that there are companies out there continuing to support the M14/M1A platform.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 10:01:44 AM EDT
[#21]
you cant go wrong with a smith enterprise mount and a 10x leopould mk4 m3 on top.  rock solid all the way around
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top