Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/16/2005 3:01:30 PM EDT
1. How much do you tighten the gas cylinder plug? If I do not tighten it enough it comes loose during firing. I recently tightened it too much and I ruined it. I was able to get it off and I ordered a new one.

2. The M14 owners guide says to clean the gas system every 300 rounds. My friend has an M1A and says this is BS but he admits he does not shoot his much. I never actually got a manual with my gun and I only have the M14 owners guide. Is this BS?
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 4:17:17 PM EDT
[#1]
The gas plug should be turned to hand tight and then tightened 1/2 turn more.  I usually clean the gas cylinder about every 500 rounds and that works for me.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 4:45:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Match rifle shooters clean/decarbon gas system every time they shoot a match.
The amount of carbon build up will be the same, same pressure build up for repetable
performance. gas plug tightening spec. is 15 ft/lb put a paintmark on the plug/gas cylinder
to line up after future cleanings.The threads on the plug are softer the the cylinder and strech on initial torquing repeted/ torquing or over tightening will ruin them.  hope this helps

Bob      
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top