Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/16/2005 1:49:39 PM EDT
Bought a M1A Scout and now I've got some renewed interest in these rifles again.
So I am thinking about building an M14/M21 from the ground up.  And I'm wondering where is a good place to start looking for receivers and for other USGI parts.  My only problem is that I don't know all the respected Armory names, and am hoping you guys can lay some names & sources on me for locating USGI parts, Or at the very least a name of a good receiver to build a rifle on.  
I have heard of CA, SAK, H&R, TRW, but that is about it, and I have no idea what each respected Armory manufactures, which one is better than the other, or if it matters..... info like that. . . are there any other armories that I haven't listed?  Is a USGI receiver necessary to build a rifle up from or is there a better or cheaper alternative?

Last question. . . what is the "standard length" of the M14 SAK NM and combat barrels?
I found a SAK for $250 and a H&R combat barrel for $185...I was told the length is standard length.  Not sure what that means.

Thanks. . . M4-CQBR
Link Posted: 1/17/2005 4:37:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Here's the best technical info by far....

www.imageseek.com/m1a/
www.fulton-armory.com

Try this site for finding parts....

www.m-14forum.com
Link Posted: 1/18/2005 5:14:52 PM EDT
[#2]
The finest of the cast receivers are available from Fulton Armory, and I believe Warrifles.com has a group buy going on them. Moving up a notch are the forged receivers, of which the only game in town is LRB of Long Island.Norinco M14's had forged receivers but are no longer imported, they sell on average for about 750, you'd want to fit a USGI bolt right away but then you could shoot it and over time upgrade to all GI parts.Personally, I would buy a complete rifle from LRB, you'd get a forged receiver and all USGI parts with the exception of the barrel, but that is of excellent quality as well.Saves the hassle of tracking down and identifying USGI parts.You could also purchase a barreled receiver with a fitted USGI bolt if your'e hell bent on building it yourself. Standard barrel length is 22 inches if memory serves.
Link Posted: 1/18/2005 5:20:34 PM EDT
[#3]
The finest of the cast receivers are available from Fulton Armory, and I believe Warrifles.com has a group buy going on them. Moving up a notch are the forged receivers, of which the only game in town is LRB of Long Island.Norinco M14's had forged receivers but are no longer imported, they sell on average for about 750, you'd want to fit a USGI bolt right away but then you could shoot it and over time upgrade to all GI parts.Personally, I would buy a complete rifle from LRB, you'd get a forged receiver and all USGI parts with the exception of the barrel, but that is of excellent quality as well.Saves the hassle of tracking down and identifying USGI parts.You could also purchase a barreled receiver with a fitted USGI bolt if your'e hell bent on building it yourself. Standard barrel length is 22 inches if memory serves.
Link Posted: 1/18/2005 5:39:23 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Actually Armscorp makes the fulton receivers, so I guess you can say Armscorp is the finest investment cast receivers out there, and cheaper than fulton.
Springfield Armory still is a good investment cast, and should not be counted out.
If you really must have forged but cannot afford it, you can always invest in a chicom rifle which is a forged receiver.  They don't hold any value, but I wou.d put it up against any other m1a and shoot just as well for half the money.
Link Posted: 1/19/2005 12:22:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Barrel length is 22"

If you are looking for parts, you might want to give Lou at LRB Arms a call.

LRB Arms
Link Posted: 1/20/2005 4:09:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Two good sources for USGI parts:

Bryan Smith
                        PO Box 304
                        East Lyme, CT  06333-0304

[email protected]

J. Michael Earl JR.
                        8387 Witsell St.
                        North Charleston, SC 29406-9751

843-553-5851

[email protected]

Also Numrich Gunparts has some parts, but do not buy their elevation spindles or falsh hiders, not USGI:

www.e-gunparts.com

Link Posted: 3/13/2005 7:25:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top