Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/10/2005 10:19:50 AM EDT
Thinking about ordering one and wondering what kind of condition they come in. Thanks!!!
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 11:34:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Metel will be good to fair and the wood can be good to suitable for firewood only. I have heard of a few rack grades that were in fantastic condition, but with the CMP it is luck of the draw.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 12:54:07 PM EDT
[#2]
+1 Mine was decent as far as metal goes. Stock is overall sound, but has lots of Greek letters carved all over and a painted number on the butt. I would go for it if I were you. Cheapest way to get a shooter-grade M1, and if the stock is toast, invest a little in a replacement. My .02.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 4:14:03 PM EDT
[#3]
I got a Greek RG, picked it out at the North Store.  It ended up being fairly nice, good muzzle and throat numbers, and the wood will clean up well, and it's a really good shooter.  However, I will say that the SG's definitely look better for both the stocks and the metal wear.  

No way I'm ever getting rid of my RG, but I think my second one will be a SG ...
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 6:43:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Got my 1st Garand about 3 months ago. CMP 1943 SA Greek RG. Stock was toast and bore was very dark.  After fitting a Boyds stock and a LOT of barrel cleaning, it turned out to be a good shooter.  Guess it was graded RG by the wood and dark bore.  Parkerizing was still outstanding and the bore is bright and shiny now with no pitting. TE measures 3.5 and MW reads 3 with a Stone Axe Guage.  I consider myself lucky to get a RG in this shape.  
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 10:29:59 PM EDT
[#5]
I got two CMP Greek service grades, a 12-41 SA and a 11-54 H&R. Both of them are beautiful rifles that shoot WAY better than I do. In fact, having compared to some friends US SA service grades, I can't see where the US issue rifles look or shoot better than my two Greeks. I don't have any experience with the rack grades. The Greek service grades are some real sleepers, IMHO. You never seem to hear much about them, but I wouldn't trade either of mine for a thing in this world.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 11:30:30 PM EDT
[#6]
I picked up a USGI HRA SG(5.5 mil with LMR barrel, rest SA) and a Greek HRA SG(5.6 mil with HRA barrel, SA parts) last year and I would say the Greek was in a little bit better condition than the USGI.  It had been refinished and put in storage.  Wood was in excellent condition also, very clean and dry.  Just the usual storage dings and dents.  I am going to order more this year.  My Greek RG HRA(5.6 mil, all HRA parts) had more finish wear but had a LMR barrel in good shape which was a plus.  The wood was USGI but pretty abused.  I have steamed it and sanded out the greek names scratched on it and it came out pretty good.  Great deal for the $$$ but I have read of real beat up ones coming thru.  If you want a shooter right out of the box go SG, the RG is for projects and parts IMHO.   Greek returns are a great deal for me so far, but mail order is luck of the draw.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 1:20:44 AM EDT
[#7]
I got two so far both nice real greasy when they show up....
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v211/gabweaver/4garands3.jpg
bottom 2 are greek top 2 are itiaian garands
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v211/gabweaver/4garands1.jpg
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 10:09:18 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I got two so far both nice real greasy when they show up....
img.photobucket.com/albums/v211/gabweaver/4garands3.jpg
bottom 2 are greek top 2 are itiaian garands
img.photobucket.com/albums/v211/gabweaver/4garands1.jpg

Interesting. Were the Greeks rack or service grades? My two Greek service grades had very little, if any, cosmoline on them.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 10:43:14 AM EDT
[#9]
both rack grade
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 3:42:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top