Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/5/2005 8:09:40 PM EDT
Hello all,

I have been thinking about getting a M1 Garand, and been doing some web searching for sellers. I came across these: Springfield Armory, Fulton Armory, Orion-7, Dean's Gun Restorations, and Miltech. I am also looking into CMP Program. I would like to get a M1 Garand in excellent condition, as a collector (show/display) piece and for limited shooting. I have ruled out the M1 Garand that was released by Springfield Armory. I like the Dean's build options and custom stock finishs, but do not know if their M1's are decent for the money. I have heard good things about Orion-7, but their selection is very limited. I know nothing of Miltech. The CMP Program seems to be the luck of the draw on getting one in decent condition.

So what are you suggestions/opinions?

Thanks,

Landwarrior...
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 9:28:17 PM EDT
[#1]
If all you want is a collector M1, get ready to spend anywhere from $1000 to $1500.

If you really want to do that, then get a Greek Rack grade Sringfield, for$290 or so from the CMP, then send it off to DGR or Fulton Armory and have them completly rebuild and re-park the rifle. You may have to purchase some additional parts to bring it up to all Springfield Armory.
I say that due to the fact that the M1s the CMP sells have been re-arsenald at least once and will contain key parts from various M1 manufactures, such as Winchester, HRA, IHC or SA.

Or you could send the CMP $1400 for a collector grade rifle, which when they find one, will have all the correct parts for the rifle.

Or, browse around the internet and see if you can locate one.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 9:38:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 11:19:50 PM EDT
[#3]
If you want a display/show rifle, go with Miltech.  Their restorations are beautiful.  I've always wanted one of their K98's,   Checjk out their website for pics, and make sure you leave your wallet in another room.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 5:32:33 AM EDT
[#4]
If you want a rifle that's in like new condition, get a CMP M1 and send it to Dean at DGR for inspection, reparking and refinishing of the stock (or a new stock).  He and Kenya (his wife) do outstanding work and Dean is a magician with wood.  I've had several rifles done by them and have never been disappointed with the work.

Link Posted: 1/8/2005 5:49:51 AM EDT
[#5]
$800.00 - complete

All USGI parts M1 Garand
30.06 or .308 - your choice of USGI 30.06 barrel or New Wilson barrel in 30.06 or 308
New handrubbed Wenig stock
Fresh park job

groups.msn.com/WestTexasOrdnance/m1garand.msnw

Someone tell me how the hell you beat that?  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top