Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/27/2004 2:04:32 PM EDT
Hey guys.
  I need a little help here.  I finally got my own M1A.  Well I want to put a scope on it.  I have everything but I really need elevation on the comb of the stock.  I am not looking to spend a lot of money.  I am not interested in the stick on rubber models or the plactic  screw on models.  I don''t want to ruin my Boyds stock.  Besided  I really hate plastic. heCan any of you help me out?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/27/2004 2:42:06 PM EDT
[#1]
How much elevation do you need?  Will an Eagle Stock Pack be enough, or do you need more.
Link Posted: 12/27/2004 3:41:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Here's a couple of pictures of the Blackhawk strap-on cheek-piece that I have on my M1A. I don't know if it's quite what you're looking for or not.

I got it from Quantico Arms, a vendor here on ar15.com's Equipment Exchange.

Link Posted: 12/27/2004 8:19:31 PM EDT
[#3]
How is this for cheap? I used two scrap peices of USGI sleeping pad (closed cell foam) and some OD duct tape to make mine.Cheap and works.
Link Posted: 12/27/2004 9:14:45 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
How is this for cheap? I used two scrap peices of USGI sleeping pad (closed cell foam) and some OD duct tape to make mine.Cheap and works.

+1. Not the prettiest, but it's completely customizable...
Link Posted: 12/28/2004 12:20:24 AM EDT
[#5]
I have checked out the Blackhawk website.  Some of their stuff doesn't look to bad, and I just looked at the Eagle stock pack.  That might work too.  The duct tape would be cheap but a little to ugly for me.  Besides I don't want to ruin my stock with tape residue.  I guess I am looking for somthing that will strap on with velcro or tie on. I am guessing that 1" to 1 1/2" rise on the comb would be good.  That might be a little too much but you get the idea.

Thanks for your ideas keep them coming!  
Link Posted: 12/28/2004 4:26:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Here's what I have on my NFA Beretta BM-59:
www.lhup.edu/dfisher/bm5901.jpg
www.lhup.edu/dfisher/bm5902.jpg
www.lhup.edu/dfisher/bm5903.jpg

I have one of these that I got and didn't work-out for the way the BM-59 scope mount works. You can have it $10 shipped - e-mail me:
www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=12797&title=STRAP-ON+CHEEKPIECE

It bends over the top of the stock and is secured at three places with the straps and velcro - it's black in color.

I had it on my gun, but did not raise the comb enough and didn't give me the push to the left that I need for the off-set BM-59/M-1 mount.

Should be just right for an M14/M1A.

It's the 3/4" model (851-200-750).

I'll send you the cheek-rest and you send me a nice crisp $10-bill - no MO's - too much hastle for this amount of money.

Link Posted: 12/28/2004 1:51:35 PM EDT
[#7]
How much adjustment is on the Eagle rifle pack?  I read of another guy using pipe insullation to increase the elevation on his BlackHawk mdl.
Link Posted: 12/28/2004 2:09:23 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
How much adjustment is on the Eagle rifle pack?  I read of another guy using pipe insullation to increase the elevation on his BlackHawk mdl.

+1 on needing more material in the Blackhawk pad.  I doubled over the pad they included and it still wasn't high enough for me.  I think I am going to check my garage for any pipe insulation I have laying around, or I may just cut up one of my GI sleeping pads.  Thanks for the tips!
Link Posted: 12/28/2004 2:34:38 PM EDT
[#9]
did you tryone of the USGI stock pads?
they have 2 small wood scews that hold them on in addition to the laces, but you don't have to use the screws
should give you the right height for your needs
Link Posted: 12/28/2004 8:29:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/1/2005 7:16:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Rooster33 makes one of the best cheekrests I have used.

whamocamo.bizland.com/rooster33/

SKBY.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 6:59:38 PM EDT
[#12]
So I am not sure if I should get the blackhawk:

www.blackhawkindustries.com/product_detail.asp?product_id=2446&d=

Or this other blackhawk:

www.blackhawkindustries.com/product_detail.asp?product_id=2448&d=

Or this blackhawk:

www.blackhawkindustries.com/product_detail.asp?product_id=2455&d=

Or the Smith:

www.smithenterprise.com/images/1100%20L%202022%20Cheekpad.jpg

Without trying them, I am not sure if they will be the right height,. Can anyone say they have had good luck with the soft-ones or is a freely-adjustible Rooster really needed for proper eye-alignment with a scope on high rings?
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 1:47:57 PM EDT
[#13]
If you are tring to get up tp a scope with some sort of pad stacking operation, good luck.  By the time you get it high enough, it will be too soft and slopy.  Look at the pics above with the adjustable combs, that will give you an idea of how tall it has to be.

On my bolt gun, I used a single layed of sleeping pad covered in ducttape, and then put the Eagle stock pack on over it.  Still get evevation, but can clean without breaking it all down.

Eagle Stock Packs

Steve.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top