Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/6/2002 6:58:10 AM EDT
I am about to be the proud father of a new Springfield standard m1a. I need to know what is the best type of ammo to put through it. What type of military surplus is good and where is a good place to order from. Thanks for the help. eagle308us
Link Posted: 9/6/2002 8:34:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Congrats with the new gun.
Here a great price for 308 ammo, I dont think you'll find it lower than 139.50 shipped for 1000 rounds. I bought some good looking ammo shipped in a wooden crate and sealed battle packs
198.63.62.70/acatalog/AIM_Rifle_Ammunition_8.html

Hope this help your cause
Link Posted: 9/6/2002 10:10:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the link. That is one of the sites I was looking at. I am also going to need cleaning equipment. One piece rod, muzzle guard, etc. Where is the best please to find these things. How about a break in procedure. Is there a good manual that will will give me disassembly and detailed cleaning instructions (gas system, etc.). So many questions, I can use all of the help I can get. Thanks. eagle308us
Link Posted: 9/6/2002 1:01:26 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Thanks for the link. That is one of the sites I was looking at. I am also going to need cleaning equipment. One piece rod, muzzle guard, etc. Where is the best please to find these things. How about a break in procedure. Is there a good manual that will will give me disassembly and detailed cleaning instructions (gas system, etc.). So many questions, I can use all of the help I can get. Thanks. eagle308us

That Portuguese Ammo is some of the best surplus you can get along with Hirtenberger and DAG west German ammo.  
I purchased my muzzle guard from Russ Haydons shooter supply www.shooters-supply.com/ and my cleaning supplies from www.georgiaprecision.com which are a pro shot 1 piece uncoated steel rod and the patches, accessories for it.  I was using a GI kit till I bought this, but this is much better.
My Springfield came with the Army's field manual for the M14 rifle and so should yours.
As far as disassembly, it is a very simple procedure.
First ensure your M1A is unloaded by pulling the charging handle back and observing the chamber is empty, or ejecting the round that may be in there.  Next pull the trigger assembly out.  You do this by looping your finger on the trigger guard and yanking hard.
After that the stock should slide off leaving you a barreled action.  On the bottom of the barreled action there is a large spring.  IT has a guide in it which is held in place buy a little bar.  Slide the bar over and remove the spring and its guide.  Next is the operating rod and bolt.  The rod should slide right out and then the bolt should fall out once you give it a little push to the back of the action.  You can then unscrew the gas assembly knob at the front of the rifle if you deem necessary.
As for disassembly at this level for cleaning, it really isn't necessary.  Each time you tear the rifle down it screws up the bedding just a little bit which causes the rifle to fit looser.  I feel it is safe to say that most M1A owners just lock the bolt back then use a chamber cleaning brush from a GI kit to clean out the chamber.  After that is completed, put in the bore guide and push the cleaning rod from muzzle to chamber with the wire brush first then following with patches. The next step would be to wipe out the bolt and its surrounding area with a large shotgun patch soaked in CLP and try to get in behind to clean as much as possible.
As far as breaking in the barrel, if its a GI chrome-lined one like mine, a break in wont do anything.  That chrome is a very hard material and a break in really doesn't do anything for it IMHO.
Shoot away with any questions, these are fun,reliable and extremely accurate rifles which will give you more than a lifetime's worth of use and pleasure.
Link Posted: 9/6/2002 2:18:01 PM EDT
[#4]
I have had my Mia's for 6 or 7 years and have put Radway, Hirt., S.A. and just recenty, Malay.
They have all been sure fire.  Some rifles will prefer one ammo over another, but that is common.
RL556 out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top