Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/27/2004 8:08:16 PM EDT
I have a late production Springfield Armory Service Grade from the CMP, and as I was cleaning it the second time I had a couple questions.

1.  Is the op rod supposed to have a slight bend in it about 6 inches from the end that fits in the gas cylinder.  

2. I picked up some Miwall new 147grain Boat Tail match (this stuff, www.outdoormarksman.com/product_info.php?cPath=65_63_38&products_id=101&osCsid=3fd2fdf30da9354959349d648577fbf5) at a gun show, is this safe to shoot in the garand? I did shoot 3 clips of it through thre rifle today, the recoil felt the same as the M2 I was shooting.  I am just paranoid since I didn't pay to much attention to the op rod the first time I cleaned it.  

Thanks in advance for any answers, and at leat I didn't try to bump fire it underwater like that guy with his bushy (on the GD forum).  

Brian
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 8:15:03 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I have a late production Springfield Armory Service Grade from the CMP, and as I was cleaning it the second time I had a couple questions.

1.  Is the op rod supposed to have a slight bend in it about 6 inches from the end that fits in the gas cylinder.  

Probably the most common question from new M1 owners. Yes, it is supposed to be bent.

2. I picked up some Miwall new 147grain Boat Tail match (this stuff, www.outdoormarksman.com/product_info.php?cPath=65_63_38&products_id=101&osCsid=3fd2fdf30da9354959349d648577fbf5) at a gun show, is this safe to shoot in the garand? I did shoot 3 clips of it through thre rifle today, the recoil felt the same as the M2 I was shooting.  I am just paranoid since I didn't pay to much attention to the op rod the first time I cleaned it.  

Thanks in advance for any answers, and at leat I didn't try to bump fire it underwater like that guy with his bushy (on the GD forum).  

Brian

That ammo should be fine. I highly reccommned getting a copy of The M1 Garand Owners Guide by Scott Duff. It will tell you every thing you need to know about the care and feeding of your M1. It is available from his web sight, Orion 7, Fulton Armory and a few other places on the net. Congratulations on a fine rifle.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 8:18:20 PM EDT
[#2]
I've got some danish and korean '06 ammo.  the dane stuff works just fine.... and word is that the korean stuff does too (it should, the ammo was made for the M1)
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 8:21:20 PM EDT
[#3]
1. The bend in the opt rod  is normal.  This allows the Rod to move freely without scaping down the inside of the rifle/action.

2. You going to find that the flat base ammo shoots better than the Boat tail ammo in the rifle.

My thoughts would be to stay with the M-2 ammo.
The reloads may be using gun powder that burns too fast for the Garand (faster than 4895 like AA 2230c, or some other surplus gun powder from pull-downs).

As for spec M2 ammo, PS head stamped, non-corrosive 400 round count, can be bought for $70.
www.wideners.com/cart.asp?Action=Details&item=SMA3006K
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 8:25:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the help, I ordered some of the corrosive Korean ammo on clips from ammoman, but UPS screwed up and I still don't have it, their tracking shows it delivered along with the 9mm I ordered, but only the 9mm was on my doorstep, so now I am waiting on them to figure out what the hell happened to it.  

When I noticed the bend in the op rod I kind of freaked, I thought I might have screwed up my rifle in less than a week of having it.

Brian
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top