Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/22/2004 3:43:02 AM EDT
I've been looking at the Springfield Scouts vs. the M1A for awhile now, but am about to drop some cash on one or the other.

I think I'm leaning towards the Scout, because I would like to put an Aimpoint on it and like the fact that the rail is already on the rifle.  Also, the look of the rifle is pretty slick.   Either way, I live in California, so it will have to have the neutered FH..

What do you guys think?   Any good reasons to stick with the Standard?    
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 6:29:55 AM EDT
[#1]
 If you put a Scout in a well bedded stock it will shoot nearly as good as a full size M1A however you won't have the power over range ratio that you do with the full length barrel.

That being said, your average shooter that doesn't compete usually doesn't use an M1A beyond 200 yards....so the Scout is generally quite adequate.  I have a full size and a Scout and I rarely shoot my full size M1A anymore.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 6:50:28 AM EDT
[#2]
It really depends on what other weapons you own.

It's like filling a Golf Bag with clubs.

There are some that you absolutely need.
There are others that are nice to have.
And there are some which help to fill the gaps if you only have a few.

Theoretically, you could play Golf with just a Driver and a Putter.  (Long range shooter and a Shotgun)

But getting a Nine Iron (a Carbine) helps fill things out.

SO...
If you have an M4 type Carbine and you don't have a 300+ range shooter, go with the Standard.
BUT, if you were to only have ONE...

Get the Scout.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 7:45:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Just a quick word on the FH/FS...In cali, it's gonna be a Muzzle Brake.  What do you plan on using the rifle for?
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 11:56:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Get them both!

Link Posted: 10/22/2004 12:33:16 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm gonna have to wait and have one custom built, because I want USGI parts and a chrome bore
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 6:53:36 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I'm gonna have to wait and have one custom built, because I want USGI parts and a chrome bore

Dude, go all the way: LRB reciever, pure GI guts and a chromed Scout barrel...Fulton carries the Wilson chrome lined barrels in Scout length.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 7:31:58 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Or find a nice used M1A that is built the way you like with parts you want.  I stumbled into a deal on an all USGI parts, McMillan stocked M1A put together by big name gunsmith (who verified it) while I was looking for a vanilla M1A, cost a bit more than the $1000 I was looking to spend, but is worth more than I paid.  
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 7:51:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 6:18:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Like the other guys said, you gotta go with what fulfills your needs.

I've got a long range rifle (Rem 700), so I went with a M1A Scout.

Oh, and one thing about the rail. It's not really worth crap. Neither is the muzzle brake that comes standard. Get a rail and brake from Smith Enterprises.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 1:26:14 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Like the other guys said, you gotta go with what fulfills your needs.

I've got a long range rifle (Rem 700), so I went with a M1A Scout.

Oh, and one thing about the rail. It's not really worth crap. Neither is the muzzle brake that comes standard. Get a rail and brake from Smith Enterprises.

You must lack experience with them, or are confused.  For their designed purpose, "mounting a Burris 2.75X or Leupold 2.5X SCOUT SCOPE" they work fine.  Like 7 years without working loose.  Never failed to hold zero, ever.

The Smith brake works superbly.  If you are referrring to their M1A scope mount, it covers the area above the action, making malfunction clearing and cleaning more of a hassle, and ELIMINATING the ability to charge using stripper clips.

But wtfdik, I've only shot a Scout for over 7 years...

Paladin
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 9:50:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Paladin-Sweet scout set up.  That must be killer on everything from coyotes to hogs!
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 12:04:13 PM EDT
[#12]
I agree that's a nice looking setup.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top