Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/18/2004 4:51:30 PM EDT
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 3:45:28 AM EDT
[#1]
joe,

A decent commercial M1 clone....  but overpriced for what you get.   An old refinished parts kit built up onto a new commercial receiver, a Boyd wood set, and a Wilson barrel.

Do yourself a favor... buy a Rack Grade SA Greek return from the CMP for $295 and send it out to West Texas Ordnance (or DGR, or GarandGuy, or Orion7...others) for a little work.

New Wilson barrel in .308 or 30-06, installed  $225
Complete refinish of all metal   $75
New set of Boyd's wood  $90 (from Midway USA)

Add this all up and you have invested $685 in an M1 that is EVERYTHING the SA clone is and more.... AND you now have a rifle built on a USGI receiver.  None better.

Oh... and a bonus.  You can sell the old barrel and wood on E-bay and recover a few bucks on your original investment.

What's the SA clone sell for???  I've heard from $900 up to $1300.

Just my opinion.... ;)

Best regards,
Swampy

Garands forever
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 2:32:36 PM EDT
[#2]
They are not decent, they are junk. They are over $1k, The op rods crack (even Shotgun News published a photo of that). On top of that....
Receivers cast in I believe Australia. Not forged, not US.
Current bolts used in M1A rifles and Garands are also cast and it's done in Eastern Europe.
Buy a GI Garand for $500.

After what I have gone through in the last year with SA and my M1A, I will never buy anything from them again
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 3:15:56 PM EDT
[#3]
What Patriot said +100.

rich
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 6:04:29 PM EDT
[#4]
In the defense of Springfield, I purchased an M1 (7million serial # range) new from them back in 1986 for $500.  The only thing non USGI about it is the barrel.  In the 18 years that I have owned her, I've put about 1000 rounds through her without a hitch.  Never a jam or a failure to feed.  I don't know about the new ones but mine has always functioned flawlessly.  Unfortunately, I'm planning on selling her to buy a BAR from Ohio Ordnance.  
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 7:44:21 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
what do y'all think of these:
www.springfield-armory.com/prod-rifles-m1-garand.shtmlwww.springfield-armory.com/images/rifles/M1Garand.jpg

CMP Garands

For a little over $500, order a CMP HRA Service Grade!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top