Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/8/2004 2:07:55 PM EDT
My new springfeild armory M1A will not hold a zero.  I have the evevation 16 clicks high and it is about right, but a little low at 100 yards and as I shoot the rifle the elevation knob is aparently moving.  When I glance down at it will no longer be on the 2 mark and will have backed off 2 through 4 clicks with my rounds hitting well under the target.  I tried tighening the screw on the knob and it was as tight as it would go.

what do you guys think?
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 2:50:13 PM EDT
[#1]
update upon further examination of my rifle, I noticed a fracture of my flash surpressor right in front of the front sight where the adjument screw is, not knowing when the fracture took place it may be the sole cause of my sight problem.

either way has any one ever heard of the elevation adjusment moving when the rifle was fired?
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 4:43:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Your 100 yd zero should be around 6-8 clicks from the bottom.
A cracked flash hider plays hell with accuracy. I shot 2 High Power matches in a row with crappy scores and was ready to chunk my M1A in the river when I saw that my fh was cracked. A simple $30  fix.

It does drive you nuts though.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 6:51:27 PM EDT
[#3]
You might also inspect the inside of the flash hider to see if you see any bullet contact marks. There isn't much clearance and if anything is bent and the bullets are touching the inside of the hider that will cause a lot of problems also.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 7:15:26 PM EDT
[#4]
yes there is a mark on the flash surpressor were a bullet made contact, do you think this could have cause any other damage?  I also experienced what I believed to be a slam fire or a double fire
could this signify an other problem as well?

ammo used was portuguese surp.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 4:58:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 8:34:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Chuck - Please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there an adjustment for rear sight spring tensio, just like on the M1 Garand??? Maybe he needs a bit more spring tension... For the other issue, I agree - perhaps a return trip to SA is in order...

- georgestrings
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 8:36:16 AM EDT
[#7]
"Your 100 yd zero should be around 6-8 clicks from the bottom."

I agree...

- georgestrings
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 2:36:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 6:45:25 PM EDT
[#9]
ok I'll give it a try, the screw I tightened was the one on the elevation knob it self, which was incorrect, anyway I am going to call sprinfeild Monday and and talk to them, I'm rather dissapointed my $1200 rifle is giving me soo many problems.

oh and if you can't tell I'm new to the M1A
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top