Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/26/2004 5:57:18 PM EDT
NY has its own AWB that mirrors the recently sunsetted federal one except that ours doesn't sunset.
Any one know if it is legal to put a folding stock on a USGI M1 Carbine if the gun was purchased with a normal stock?
I'm thinking that since the gun was made long before 94 it'll be considered preban.
As for why I might put one on if it's legal? Just for the hell of it
Thanks for any info.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 6:54:52 PM EDT
[#1]
As I understand it, the weapon must have been in AW configuration before the ban was enacted. An M1 carbine in a folding stock is by legal definition, an "assault weapon".  If you want to put it in the folding stock now, who's going to know that it wasn't configured that way before? The risk, such as it is,  is yours to take.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 5:49:37 AM EDT
[#2]
If it does not have a bayonet lug, the folding stock would be the one allowable evil feature. If it has a bayonet lug, putting on a folding stock without removing the bayonet lug first would constitute the building of an illegal assault weapon.

I am not a lawyer, and do not play one on TV. Your best way to get a definitive answer is to contact your state's Attorney General.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:39:31 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
If it does not have a bayonet lug, the folding stock would be the one allowable evil feature.

A folding stock on an M1 carbine = 2 evil features. A folding stock and a pistol grip.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 9:31:34 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
If it does not have a bayonet lug, the folding stock would be the one allowable evil feature.

A folding stock on an M1 carbine = 2 evil features. A folding stock and a pistol grip.

You are correct. I forgot that the M1 Carbine folding stock also includes a pistol grip.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 10:52:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Check your states firearm laws. It's on the internet
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 7:05:18 AM EDT
[#6]
state law says the gun had to be made before 94, but doesn't say if it had to have the "evil features" at that time
caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/nycodes/c82/a68.html
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 8:25:14 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
state law says the gun had to be made before 94, but doesn't say if it had to have the "evil features" at that time

So the NY state law doesn't mirror the former Federal law after all?
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 1:02:41 PM EDT
[#8]
I thought it did
maybe I'm just not interpretting it correctly

Quoted:

Quoted:

So the NY state law doesn't mirror the former Federal law after all?

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top