Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/22/2004 12:51:47 PM EDT
I am seriously thinking about a CMP Garand, and am wondering what will best suit me.  I am a target shooter (not competitively) who will shoot it a few times a year, want to see some decent/good groups, and want a pretty handsome weapon.  I regret missing the Danish returns with the VAR barrels (sounds like those were one heck of a deal) and am thinking about a Greek service grade.  Rack grade is probably sufficient, but the money difference seems a minor obstacle, especially to get a gun with a MUCH more servicable barrel.

Any guidance?

shooter
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 4:24:27 PM EDT
[#1]
I got a 10-54 dated Greek H&R service grade. This thing is beautiful and VERY accurate.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 4:59:02 PM EDT
[#2]
USGI Service Grade for me, I'm very impressed with its accuracy...
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 7:52:56 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
USGI Service Grade for me, I'm very impressed with its accuracy...

We have purchased several from the CMP. You must know that it is a crap shoot. But if I were to do it for what you are looking for I would order a HRA SG. HRA was one of last producers of the M1. If you order a SA, you might get a WWII rebuild and they don't even take orders for WRA and IHC.
The last M1 we recieved was a WRA SG #139,xxx (been waiting since Feb 04), a pre Pearl Harbor reciever, but a late WWII rebuild. Next week we are getting our IHC SG.
Our first M1 was a HRA RG, tagged "bore". After an hour of scrubbing the bore cleaned up really nice and it is a good shooter. The rifle looks good too. It is mostly original except for the trigger group.
VAR barrels are still out there for sale, I see them on the auction sites from time to time. We have one SA Dane that came with a Var barrel that was worn out. I had it replaced with a Var barrel we found on Ebay. The barrel cost us $60, plus another $60 to have it installed.
It is very accurate, but not very pretty.
Get the HRA SG, I think it is your best bet if you are looking for a shooter that still has a good finish on it.

Renee
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 1:10:47 PM EDT
[#4]
VAR barreled danish. Mine shoots sub moa with ME shooting it. Even better with my High master buddies shooting it. God I love that rifle. It is my COLD DEAD FINGERS GUN!!!!!
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 1:21:50 PM EDT
[#5]
All of a sudden I am thinking rack grade dane and a rebarrel....it seems like the residual inventory of the greek rifles is beat up pretty badly.  Maybe I need to take a trip out to Ohio.....

shooter
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 1:50:38 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
All of a sudden I am thinking rack grade dane and a rebarrel....it seems like the residual inventory of the greek rifles is beat up pretty badly.  Maybe I need to take a trip out to Ohio.....

shooter

Ohio is nice this time of the year, plus you can fondle all of the really cool guns !!!
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 3:50:38 PM EDT
[#7]
I would say go with a H&R service grade like MiG-21.  i've gone to two CMP M1 Garand shoots, and both times ended up with a rack grade piece of junk.   i was constantly adjusting the sight and other people were having problems with their guns jamming, since most of us had rack grade Garands.  so basically, just make sure you get a service grade one, and either inspect it yourself, or if you're not too sure on what to look for, have someone inspect it for you, and make sure it was taken care of and all that, and you should be set.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 11:26:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Is there any reason that people go for the HR manufactured rifles over the Springfield manufactured? I was thinking about getting a Greek Springfield but feel that I may be doing something wrong!
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 1:22:16 AM EDT
[#9]
A regular service grade would be the best bet but in the end it's a crap shoot. I have ordered alot of Service grade M1's from the cmp and they ran from exc condition new from rebuild to beaters with so-so barrels.

Rack Grades are REALLY hit or miss, you might get anything from a GEM in the rough to a TURD !

I would suggest ordering 3 SA/HRA service grades and pick the best one ( Barrel condition / Stock fit )of the 3 and sell the other two you don't like.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top