Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/20/2004 4:39:25 AM EDT
I am looking at putting a Super Sniper 20x on an M1a but I would like other peoples experience on this scope and the best mount/rings for the application? I have heard good things about the ARMS and others but I have grown to trust others advice/experience.Thanks
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 8:04:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Mine is a brookfield style mount made by TSA and it has worked very well for me over these last 5 years. I have the SS 10x42 and enjoy it as well.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 10:11:50 PM EDT
[#2]
My $0.02,

Short answer - Smith Enteprise M14 scope mount

Long answer - M14 Scope Mount FAQ at www.imageseek.com/m1a
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 6:44:38 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
My $0.02,

Short answer - Smith Enteprise M14 scope mount

Long answer - M14 Scope Mount FAQ at www.imageseek.com/m1a

+1
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 11:01:05 AM EDT
[#4]
ARMS #18.

Reason:  Sits lower to the bore and allows for better use of the iron sights.

IMHO
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 4:18:43 PM EDT
[#5]
This is my choice:

M1A Loaded
Smith Enterprises see thru mount
ARMS 22L Low Rings
Leupold Model 51182 Mark IV 3.5 x 10 x 40mm Scope
Whamo Camo Stock Set with Rooster 33 cheekrest

Regards,

Gary
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 8:42:42 PM EDT
[#6]
LastDefender, you have excellent taste in M14 accessories.  
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 3:31:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Different,

Thanks...... as you will note, I did my research here and learned from those more knowledgeable.  These forums are just a fantastic way of gaining information.

Thank you again to all who took the time to help educate me on how best to set up my M1A.

Regards,
Gary
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 11:29:22 AM EDT
[#8]
I used an ARMS once but the shells kept hitting it and bouncing back into the action so I got the 3rd gen SA mount. It works great because it has more space.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 6:04:21 AM EDT
[#9]
The Smith works just fine for me.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 8:03:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 12:58:36 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
ARMS #18.

IMHO

It looks so low that it blocks the iron sight path. Are you able to see under the ARMS #18? It looks like you'd have to unmount the scope and look over the rail. Still looking under the rail puts the scope way up there and hard to get a good cheek weld.

www.armsmounts.com/viewimg.php?item_id=7ℑ=picture

When using the #18 base with iron sights you look over the rail.  Without some sort of see through rings, which would put the scope awfully high, you do need to dismount the scope to use the irons.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 3:49:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 7:09:39 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
ARMS #18.

IMHO

It looks so low that it blocks the iron sight path. Are you able to see under the ARMS #18? It looks like you'd have to unmount the scope and look over the rail. Still looking under the rail puts the scope way up there and hard to get a good cheek weld.

www.armsmounts.com/viewimg.php?item_id=7&image=picture

In this case, the irons are your BUIS and it is far better to remove any malfunctioning/disabled optic.  My DMR Clone has ARMS #22 Low ring which allows me remove the scope rather expeditiously.  The #18 has a channel that runs parallel to the bore which allows for a proper sight picture when using the irons.   Even with possibly the lowest mounting platform a std M1A receiver can have ( I have seen receivers that have the picatinney rails milled right into them),  I found it necessary to install a cheekpiece for proper cheekweld.

Link Posted: 10/1/2004 2:26:07 AM EDT
[#14]
Optics: Leupold, Zeiss
Rings: Larue Tactical
rail: havnt a clue
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 7:11:37 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Optics: Leupold, Zeiss
Rings: Larue Tactical
rail: havnt a clue

Are you serious?  LaRue make some really good stuff, but that mount does not belong on an M1A.

Mounts the optic way forward and way to high for a M1A.  Unless you turn the mount around and cantilever it backward (probably would not work), but the optic would still be too high over the bore.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top