Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/1/2004 9:56:25 AM EDT
A friend of mine is picking up a Auto Ordinance M1 Carbine this week that he ordered about six months ago . We went to a gun show about two months ago looking for some USGI magazines. We were told how to tell USGI from the cheap copies, but we can't remember. What capacity do the USGI mags come in? I thought only 15 and 20 rounders, but I might be wrong.

I will give  my opinions on the rifle after he gets it and we shoot it.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 10:34:47 AM EDT
[#1]
USGI carbine mags come ONLY in 15, and 30 rounds.

Genuine GI mags will have a letter code stamp on the back flat of the mag.
There are MANY codes, but you can always tell a GI mag by the glossy metallic blue color.  After market are dull black.  
Some examples of codes: IV, I, U, IO, SEY, IP, SG.

30 round GI mags are RARE and expensive these days.  If the 30 round mag is stamped "M2" it isn't a GI mag.  Look for stamps like "SEY".

Some GI 15 and 30 round mags were parkerized.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 11:48:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks faris for the good information.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 2:07:25 PM EDT
[#3]
If you buy 30 round mags get yourself a M2 magazine catch. This has the extra tit on it and will hold the 30 round magazine secure.  
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 3:21:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 6:55:48 PM EDT
[#5]
See this FAQ on the Fulton Armory site:

www.fulton-armory.com/Carbinemags.htm

I personally stick with the 15-round mags, you never have to worry if they are GI or not.  The aftermarket 30-round mags have a poor reputation.

The M2 mag catches have an underlined "M" on them.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 3:30:20 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
See this FAQ on the Fulton Armory site:

I personally stick with the 15-round mags, you never have to worry if they are GI or not.  The aftermarket 30-round mags have a poor reputation.

Word. The 30-round mags I've used lasted 1 day on the range. Not to mention that they didn't feed proper either.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top