Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/27/2004 4:38:57 PM EDT
A scope? A red dot? Neither?

Feel free to post your decision as well.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 5:02:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Most "purists" will say irons. The M14/M1A does have a set of AWESOME iron sights...

Some will say a regular scope. They like the extra "reach" of the 7.62mm/.308 and want to be able to capitalize on it with a magnified optic.

Yet others will vote for the red dot due to the speed with which you can acquire the target out to 300 - 400 yards.

It just depends on what situation you want to have your particular rifle set up for. The M14/M1A isn't the easiest platform to mount optics on, but it can be done.

Me? I voted for the red dot because I have an EO-Tech 552 on mine.

Link Posted: 8/27/2004 5:03:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 5:47:09 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Most "purists" will say irons. The M14/M1A does have a set of AWESOME iron sights...

Some will say a regular scope. They like the extra "reach" of the 7.62mm/.308 and want to be able to capitalize on it with a magnified optic.

Yet others will vote for the red dot due to the speed with which you can acquire the target out to 300 - 400 yards.

It just depends on what situation you want to have your particular rifle set up for. The M14/M1A isn't the easiest platform to mount optics on, but it can be done.

Me? I voted for the red dot because I have an EO-Tech 552 on mine.

How do you like the EO-Tech on your M1A?
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 9:04:16 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I guess it depends on your application.

It has excellent irons, but I go with optics when ever I can.

Same here.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 9:11:35 PM EDT
[#5]
I had a 4-14x56 scope on my M1a for a time when I first got it...  too much scope.

took it off, put on NM sights and thats the way I've kept it.  I'm not about to change it.

I have entertained the idea of getting the short M1A, the one with the Aimpoint.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 7:43:17 AM EDT
[#6]
I go with the red-dot/scope combo of an ACOG TA11E. You should edit your poll so I can vote.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 8:33:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Irons
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 9:35:29 AM EDT
[#8]
I just took the scope off for good.  Maybe some day I'd put a red dot on, but for now it's all irons.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 10:05:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 1:43:49 PM EDT
[#10]
spork-

I really like it. I've got a KAC M14 RAS on my M1A that the 552 is mounted on. I tried an A.R.M.S. #18 mount and a Smith Enterprise mount, but they didn't really didn't work too well with the EO-Tech. The A.R.M.S. mount sat low enough, but the empty cases would hang up on the EO-Tech as they were being ejected and cause a "stovepipe" jam. The Smith Enterprise Mount sat high enough to avoid jamming the rifle but also sat too high for a decent cheek-weld on the stock. I did like the way I could use the iron sights while the EO-Tech was still on the rifle, though. Both of those mounts are fine for regular scopes but not with the EO-Tech. It took me over a year and half of experimenting until I found the right set-up. The KAC M14 RAS is a great mounting system and I highly recommend it to anyone looking to put any kind of optic on their M1A. Just keep in mind that it works only with USGI-profile barrels. It also is still just a teeny bit high, but I was able to overcome the issue by putting a Blackhawk strap-on cheekpiece on my rifle. Works great. This is my "Go To" rifle should the "SHTF"...

The EO-Tech provides FAST target acquisition. Should the EO-Tech go down, I can remove it quickly and I'm good-to-go with the iron sights.

Should be a shit-hot coyote rig. I plan on trying it out on them this fall.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 1:47:01 PM EDT
[#11]
I'd say Irons then a scope and probably never a red dot. The gun is capable of more accuracy than a red dot can offer IMHO.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 2:48:13 PM EDT
[#12]
The M1A is too damn hard to scope, and once you do get it right, cheek weld is a problem without  adding a platform cheekrest.  I have scoped one, but I still say irons.
-g
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 7:38:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for the input, guys.

If I go with the M1A route, I will stick with iron sights.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 7:45:46 PM EDT
[#14]
I had an Aimpoint on mine,  took it off and put a scope on it,  I like it, I can shoot much better with a scope. Good luck.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 8:05:15 AM EDT
[#15]
The M1a's iron sights are a work of art. That's what I voted for. However with a good mount it looks cool scoped as well.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 9:05:24 AM EDT
[#16]
I have a NM match version, and the irons sights are the way to go, but of course if you have some aging eyes like I do, you may want to keep your options open regarding optics whether red-dot or scopes.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 3:55:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Iron sights.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top