Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/24/2004 10:41:27 PM EDT
Just bought a Scout Squad rifle, my first M1A. . .And I want to install a QD stud so I can use a bipod. Only I can't figure out the easiest way to go about getting the QD stud in the hole provided.
Thought maybe removing the handguards would do the trick. . .but I got no manual with it.

Ideas?
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 3:11:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 6:28:46 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I assume the stud mounts on the stock, not the handguard (singular), so I'm curious why you need to remove it, but that's how it's done.

-- Chuck

I agree with Chuck, you shouldn't have to remove the handguard to install a stud on the stock. If you do remove your scout handguards, be careful as they are more delicate than the uncut handguards. I think you are referring to the stock?

To remove your stock, you need to remove the trigger housing first. Lift up on the rear of the trigger guard, pivoting it down and away from the stock. If REALLY tight, you can carefully use a Phillips head screw driver in the hole in the trigger guard to leverage it open. The trigger guard serves to lock the trigger housing in the stock, and keeps the whole rifle assemblies together. Your trigger housing is now free to be pulled straight out. You can then seperate your receiver from the stock. Very simple and elegant. Hope this isn't too confusing.

Definitely call Springfield to get a manual. Lots of pictures to help you with this. Wait 'til you try to remove the op rod the first time
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 9:49:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 6:13:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Okay guys. . . I have it figured out. Took the trigger group out, receiver off, and then all back on again. pretty easy now that I know how it is done.  Only I think raf is right about the supplied hole. I thought it was for a QD stud, but it does look like a vent. Yes it is the hole forward towards the muzzle. Now I am even more pissed that I can't mount a QD stud with out some tools that I don't have.  I thought it was going to come with one, as that is how they have it advertised.  No such luck on a bipod for this weekend

out for now
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 6:30:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Get a sling. You don't need no stinkin' bipod
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 8:25:40 PM EDT
[#6]
make sure that you put the safety ON before taking the trigger group down. I was informed that you can break parts if you don't.   As for the weep hole, if i'm not mistaken, SA will mount a bipod thru that hole. Otherwise, you can get the Harris #5 adapter, dremel out the stock, and install the stud 2" or so rear of the existing vent hole.

I had my sling swivel removed, and the #5 put in its place.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 10:08:19 PM EDT
[#7]
so that hole in my stock isn't for a stud huh? who's sells the harris #5 cheap thru mail order?  
Is it like a QD stud?   My Remington LTR came with two studs that my Harris bipod clips right on to. I wish Springfield had spent an extra $5 and put one on my rifle before they put it out the door.
 [rant] my Scout wouldn't chamber a round out of the box - I actually posted here about it -well somewhere - anyway it got sent right back to them for repair, and I asked them to put on a QD stud for me for the whole trouble I went thru with the new weapon & being without it for 2 months after buying it new, they said, "sure for $45 bucks" [/rant]
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 5:46:30 AM EDT
[#8]
This how-to by dighawaii of the M1A/M14 Firing line should help you.

Harris Bipod install

edit: and to answer your question about the hand guard removal, I actually made my own tool out of a dentist pic. Heated up and bent the thicker stem part into a hook.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top