Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/22/2004 6:16:08 PM EDT
I have heard that a Garand is slightly pick about the bullet weight and powder type that is uses.

What commercial ammo loads are ok for a garand?
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 6:57:42 PM EDT
[#1]
I've been using the cheap PMC 150gr FMJ with no issues
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 7:43:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Winchester "white box" 157 grainers shoot super good in mine.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 12:13:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Apparently Garand's don't like Silver bear ammo.

Ben
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 8:43:31 PM EDT
[#4]
I have used a lot of the Federal American Eagle with no problems. In my gun it was pretty accurate too.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 8:06:12 AM EDT
[#5]
I've been using the Danish mil surp.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 7:09:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Why use commericial ammo for the garand?  You can buy surplus for about 1/2 the price and you know it is good ammo for the garand.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 6:28:13 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Why use commericial ammo for the garand?  You can buy surplus for about 1/2 the price and you know it is good ammo for the garand.

It kinda hard to hunt humanely with milsurp FMJs.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 6:41:25 AM EDT
[#8]
your original post mentioned nothing about hunting,. That is why you got the responses you did......
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 3:45:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Yeah, I kinda botched that one. Sorry, my fault.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 4:34:16 PM EDT
[#10]
If you want to fire hunting ammo out of the garand, you need to either start reloading or buy an adjustiable gas plug.  The adjustiable gas plug replace your normal gas plug and they allow the excess gasses (pressures) to be bled off so they don't have a negative impact on the op rod.  I reload and don't own one but I will buy one when I get a bear tag so i can shoot a heavier bullet safely.  I would still stay away from the light magnums with the gas plug but normal hunting ammo in the 150 to 180 gr range should be just fine for the plug.

As far as finding an off the shelf commericial hunting ammo that is suitable for the garand, it's like trying to order a gas trap from the CMP.  This is one of the reasons I started reloading.  I couldn;t seem to find any hunting ammo that would not harm the garand.

You could always just take other's advice and just use soemthing and take your chances but I like to err on the side of caution.  Hope this is clear.  IM me if you have any other questions.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 4:38:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Federaql 150 grain ballistic tip ammo.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 2:33:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Handloading is all that works in my M1 (for hunting).  Some factory hunting ammo is so hot it blows the op rod right out of the channel!  You don't want to be battering your M1.

I have a good 168 grain Match load for my M1 that clocks at 2630 fps.  I simply substitute a 165 grain Nosler Partition bullet .  When range tested at 100 and 200 yards it shot nearly identical to my Match handload, so I took it Elk hunting last Fall.  Unfortunately I did not get a chance to shoot the M1 (no Elk seen), but I was ready and willing.  Where I hunt most shots are under 100 yards and I was commited to keeping my furthest shot at 150 yards or so.  

But you were correct in that the M1 operation requires a specifing pressure curve that comes from specific powder burn performance.  If you handload there are several proven gunpowders available, I prefer AA2520 in my M1.   I have neve used an adjustable gas system, but it sounds like it might allow one to use most factory loads.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top