Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/20/2004 5:14:13 PM EDT
just wondering what to look for and what to steer away from? A not so local gun shop has one and I sure am thinking about it. I can't afford an M1Aand this might be my best chance. and is 550 to much for an average example of m14.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 5:29:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Go to FULTON ARMORY

....and do a Google Site Search for "Chinese M14"

Clint McKee has a great run down. Here's a tiny piece of one FAQ:

"The vast majority of Chinese M14's that come into our shop have excessive headspace, among other maladies. A very few have had too tight a headspace, which is quite odd." -Clint McKee

Go take a look.....you might decide to save your money and get the real deal.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 5:59:48 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
just wondering what to look for and what to steer away from? A not so local gun shop has one and I sure am thinking about it. I can't afford an M1Aand this might be my best chance. and is 550 to much for an average example of m14.

$550.00 is a steal these days. Grab it and run. Don't listen to any of that B.S. about Chinese M14's. They are the best value going. The receiver, gas system, trigger group, op-rod and barrel are as good as USGI.. Any headspace issue can be fixed by fitting a USGI bolt. Many qualified M14 fixers can do the job and will do it for considerably less than Smith Ent. or Fulton.

If it's opinions of experts that you want, see what Clint Mckee has to say. Also, check out what Ron Smith has to say at Smith Enterprises. Just keep in mind that these guys have expensive services to sell you.

Buy it, get the head space checked with 7.62 NATO gauges and enjoy.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 6:44:58 PM EDT
[#3]
I discuss the Chinese M14 rifles in depth in the free online book M14 Rifle History and Development at www.imageseek.com/m1a  There's original information in there that you won't find anywhere else.  It's free, check it out.  Why?  Because I want M14 fans to be educated about their sweethearts.  No BS.  
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 6:50:54 PM EDT
[#4]
I had one and it shot great until it blew up.  I was shooting surplus ammo when I had a case rupture.  It blew the mag floorplate off and ammo dropped all over, scared the hell out of me at the time.   Took it to a gunsmith who said the bolt was about to shear at the locking lugs.   I had a USGI bolt fitted to it and fired one last magful out of it.   I sold it at a tremendous loss.   Someday I'll replace it with the real thing.  I wont buy another poly tech M14 ever again.    To be fair this was 1993 and things might have improved in later versions.   Mine came with a horrendously ugly fiberglass stock that I changed out immediately for a nice walnut stock.   Looked great, should have kept it for a wallhanger or had the receiver properly heat treated.   That if I remember right was the biggest trouble with them.  
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 7:51:23 PM EDT
[#5]
The trouble is not with the receiver so much, The receivers are forged, and very close to USGI,  but  the bolt is known to be made from a soft steel, that, and they are known for long headspace....using commerical .308 gages.. using NATO 7.62 gages most will be safe to shoot until excessive wear from the soft steel bolt increases the headspace to unsafe levels... and this may not take long to do..A USGI bolt properly installed in the chinese receiver will usually fix this for good. Sounds to me like that's what may have happened to Mr. .45 Auto, the receiver did'nt let go.. a case did, and it sounds like excessive headspace,and the bolt was about ready to go, But, in all fairness over at Battlerifles.com there was a fella that had a pic of a SA Inc cast bolt that he noticed when shooting had a crack going through the right lug... he noticed it in time...  what suprises me, Mr..45 Auto was able to get another bolt installed and shoot it some more,so, the receivers must be of a fairly decent quality. If you're buying a used poly, get a GI bolt,and make plans to get it installed. get the headspace checked with some 7.62 headspace gages before firing with the factory bolt...
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 9:00:36 AM EDT
[#6]
if you dont want it, PM the info to me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top