Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/16/2004 6:45:11 PM EDT
So how long does it take every one to get a second one?? I was grinning from ear to ear! Didn't have too much time, just wanted to make sure it was working good after taking it apart and giving it a good cleaning.  No misfires or problems with the action, spent casings went out at 1:00-3:00, clip went 'sproing' (gotta love that!).  The only problem I saw was that it was not stripping the first round into the chamber.  After finding a couple of posts about that, it seems pretty normal, just give it a tap with the palm angled out.  I was pulling the bolt back and letting it go once or twice to get it to go.  But all-in-all, a very rewarding experience to be able to shoot a 60 yr old service weapon!
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 1:29:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Congrats! I don't know about you, but for me it is like firing a piece of history. It took me about a month to purchase a second one :) I'm thinking about having the 1st sent off for a new barrel and maybe a tanker conversion to a shorter barrel .308. Time will tell.

Enjoy
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 2:16:05 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
So how long does it take every one to get a second one?? I was grinning from ear to ear! Didn't have too much time, just wanted to make sure it was working good after taking it apart and giving it a good cleaning.  No misfires or problems with the action, spent casings went out at 1:00-3:00, clip went 'sproing' (gotta love that!).  The only problem I saw was that it was not stripping the first round into the chamber.  After finding a couple of posts about that, it seems pretty normal, just give it a tap with the palm angled out.  I was pulling the bolt back and letting it go once or twice to get it to go.  But all-in-all, a very rewarding experience to be able to shoot a 60 yr old service weapon!

I don't have one, but I would buy one just for that sound.
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 2:30:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 9:49:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 8:08:16 PM EDT
[#5]
I kinda like it on my 2 Garands that they don't strip the first round off with out the palm tap...

Saves my thumb
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 9:41:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Raf, I'll keep that in mind.  

Thanks to all here who've helped me out and answered my questions on this rifle.  If you can swing it, it's definitely worth taking a trip to Camp Perry to scope one out.  Like Shotar said in a couple of his posts, if you look long enough, you can find a good one.  I might be taking another trip there soon ... it doesn't look like that case of M2 is going to last too long!!  

Wish I'd have known about CMP a couple years ago, and could have gotten a couple of the M-44 .22 rifles, too!  Doesn't seem like you can touch one for under $300 now.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 11:24:16 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
The only problem I saw was that it was not stripping the first round into the chamber.  After finding a couple of posts about that, it seems pretty normal, just give it a tap with the palm angled out.  I was pulling the bolt back and letting it go once or twice to get it to go.

Normal not stripping the first round, so is the few times that it will actual strip the round and the bolt tries to eat your thumb (Garand thumb).

Just remember when loading, press the clip straight down in one motion.  The second that you release pressure off the bottom (or jerk), the bolt is going to move, so don't tap dance with your thumb on the load. It's straight down to bottom out the clip, then get your thumb out of the way as the clip slightly rises and the bolt is released.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 7:04:29 PM EDT
[#8]
I heard if you get three then you are able to link them together and stand in the tripod fashion.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 6:23:18 AM EDT
[#9]
That's why they call that forward swivel at the back end of the gas cyl. the 'stacking swivel'.
www.civilianmarksmanship.com/nomenclaturehtml/nomenclaturestackingswivel.html
If you're new to Garands you'll want to spend an evening cruiseing around this site.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 8:34:43 AM EDT
[#10]
If you get 2 of the right kind, they will breed in your safe, and next thing ya know ya have 30 or so.

Link Posted: 8/19/2004 9:49:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Took mine out last night for the first time and fell in love with it. Smooth as silk. Wont be long before it morphs into more then one.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 3:01:19 PM EDT
[#12]

If you get 2 of the right kind, they will breed in your safe, and next thing ya know ya have 30 or so.

Yup.. I started off with 1 of the little buggers 4 1/2 years ago and now they have multiplied up to 18 now!!!!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top