Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/7/2004 6:43:37 PM EDT
Picked up a very clean pre-ban M1A last week. I took it to the range today and it only fires single shot. It's obviously some sort of gas related problem..(I.E. gas is escaping somewhere and not cycling the bolt) however I know nothing about the M1A and need a little advise.

P.S. - I've planned from the start to have the boys at Fulton look her over, but I figured I'd run by the M1A guru's here first.

TIA, DD out!!  
Link Posted: 8/7/2004 6:53:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/7/2004 6:59:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/7/2004 7:02:00 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Make sure your gas system isn't in the closed postition.

Please excuse my ignorance, but how do I tell if the gas system is opened or closed? I see that there is some sort of gas adjustment nut under the barrel is that where I take care of business?

Link Posted: 8/7/2004 7:07:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/7/2004 7:15:22 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Look on the right side of the gas block just forward of the stock.

While you're at it, make sure the gas cylinder nut is tight.

M14 Parts Diagram

See parts 25 and 26?

Lumpy, the diagram doesn't come up but I think I found the problem from your previous comment.

I took a look at the right side of the gasblock and the screw is in the horizontal position. So, all I have to do is take a screwdriver and turn that bad boy until the srew slot point towards the deck and I'll be good to go??  P.S. Gas nut seems to be nice and snug.

Link Posted: 8/7/2004 7:18:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/7/2004 7:18:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/7/2004 7:21:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/7/2004 7:28:36 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
You take the rim of a 308 case and press in and turn 90 degrees at the same time.

Notice its cut to fit the rim of a cartridge.

Outstanding...knowlege is power. Imagine getting in a firefight with that goddamn thing single shot and not knowing that you gave up the ghost due to a "screw" being horizontal.

BTW since I'm new to the M1A I'll post a little info on this particular rifle to see what you guys think. The reciever is super clean and is marked as follows:

U.S. Rifle
7.62MM M1A
Springfield
 Armory
 0244XX

Rifle sights are marked NM, Bolt is TRW and the underside of the barrel is marked Geneseo IL. I have no idea how to take this rifle apart yet so I can't identify if the other items are USGI or not. The rifle also has a Redfield scope on it with what looks to be an older type mount marked S&K.

What do you guys think?  Should I send her over to Fulton to get looked at or what.

Link Posted: 8/7/2004 7:30:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/7/2004 7:32:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/7/2004 7:35:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Shoot it.  If it shoots good don't send it anywhere.  You might be surprised how well some of these can shoot with basic barrels and all.

BTW, if those are really NM sights it is more than a loaded model (I think).   Might be a match version or something.  It would be worth your while to get Duffs manual on the M14.  Everything you could want to know about 'em.

Link Posted: 8/7/2004 7:41:00 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Shoot it.  If it shoots good don't send it anywhere.  You might be surprised how well some of these can shoot with basic barrels and all.

BTW, if those are really NM sights it is more than a loaded model (I think).   Might be a match version or something.  It would be worth your while to get Duffs manual on the M14.  Everything you could want to know about 'em.

Yeah, I'll have to pick that book up. In the meantime is there anywhere on the web I can download info on how to take this rifle apart and adjust the sight's for a BZO??

Thanks a lot for all the info so far gent's, I really appreciate it.
Link Posted: 8/7/2004 7:46:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/8/2004 8:09:22 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/8/2004 11:42:59 AM EDT
[#16]
Its an early 80's factory NM rifle from the description.  Built long before any "loaded" promotion.  Now that the gas system is in the "run" position, shoot it before you think about having it looked at by anyone.  If it aint broke........
Link Posted: 8/9/2004 3:11:17 AM EDT
[#17]
Thanks a lot gent's, I appreciate the assistance. Looks like the next step is to get Duff's book and learn the intracasies of this new weapon system. After I give her a good cleaning, I'll take her back to the range and see if she goes semi vice single.

Thanks again, DD out!!  
Link Posted: 8/10/2004 10:16:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Just remember NOT to use grease INSIDE the gas cylinder, okay?? Probably not a good idea to disassemble the gas cylinder too often anyway, but bore cleaner ONLY in there--   and if it IS a NM, try not to take the action out of the stock more that you really need to--- and be sure to let us know how it shoots!
Link Posted: 8/14/2004 4:27:54 AM EDT
[#19]

DDMAO, don't feel bad - I did the very same thing at a carbine match a couple of months ago.  In front of 30+ competitive shooters, I was forced to rack the bolt 40 times in two minutes, just to finish the course of fire.  Supremely embarrassing, to say the least.  Once I got home, I logged on, and realized my mistake within a few minutes.  I should have spent a lot more time with my rifle before I tried to compete with it, but oh well - live and learn.

By the way, I finished last in the match, with a time of 1:55 - not to mention my shot placement was all over the place, since I was stressing over the 'malfunctioning' weapon.

Link Posted: 8/15/2004 6:48:55 PM EDT
[#20]
I have the same problem.

I checked the screw and the notch or grove that you put the screwdriver in is oriented vertically.

My gun is a SA preban as well.  I had not fired it in years, but it was storaged in a safe and well preserved and cleaned before being storaged. It functioned fine before.

I took it to the range and tried firing some Federal Match 168 grain loads and some older West German loads and both failed to cycle the action to the point that it would not pick up the next round or lock the bolt back after the last round. It did it with 3 different magazines. It did not do it every time, but about 95% of the time. The bolt goes back but does not lock back or go back enough to strip the next round. I tried loosening and tightening the gas piston nut, but that had no effect.

Anyone have any ideas?

thanks

vfortytwoATyahoo.com
Link Posted: 8/15/2004 7:02:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/15/2004 7:03:17 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm going to assume you're holding the rifle in tightly against yourself, and that you can lock the bolt back manually.  Other than that, maybe your preservatives haved clogged the gas system, or the bolt is binding and needs some lube.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 6:44:28 PM EDT
[#23]
That grenade setting was the culprit. Took her out this past weekend and the rifle cycled like a charm. Of course now that I've over come my first obstacle, I have a few more questions for you gentleman.

1. During disassembly does the rifle need to be on safe or fire?

2. I cannot make heads or tails of the the M1A BZO thread tacked up top. Can someone walk me through the following.

A. Mechanical zero for the M1A

B. Proper BZO procedures for the M1A...sight setting, distance to target, point of aim etc.

C. The NM front site on my M1A looks to be adjustable for windage. What's the story with that?

TIA - DD out!!  
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 2:53:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Do yourself a favor and buy a copy of Scott Duff's book, 'The M14 Owners Guide' and READ IT!  Available at www.champchoice.com
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 4:59:15 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Do yourself a favor and buy a copy of Scott Duff's book, 'The M14 Owners Guide' and READ IT!  Available at www.champchoice.com

Buddy had a copy, lots of good info. Thanks!!

DD out  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top