Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/12/2003 10:29:25 AM EDT
they have m1 garands and '03 springfields right now for $400 a pop. can i do better?

http://www.odcmp.com/
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 4:14:57 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't think so.  You may be getting the '03 in grease which will take a lot of work (but it's "just out of" clean and repair).  The M1 Rifles are usually ready to shoot after rod down the bore.

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 5:51:18 PM EDT
[#2]
The 400.00 ones are good but you'll be happier in the long run if you get the 500.00 service grade. They are the best deal going for a garand.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 7:29:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Screw that, I was at the CMP North store yesterday and found TWO absolutely perfect rack grade Garands. One is almost a complete 1945 Springfield, and the other was a H+R that was the finest one that I have seen. They had LOTS of very nice condition rack grades that were there. I got a delay status on the nics check so I could not take them with me, they should be at my door sometome this week though.... that kinda sucked. I will post some pictures here of them when they arrive. You can't beat the CMP Garands.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 10:13:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Pighelmet --

Delay on a NICS?  Did you supply your SSN or leave that field blank as if the Government doesn't have it ?

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 3:16:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Man you hit the nail on the head..it said 'optional'...

I left it blank.

Never again.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 4:11:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Score is running about 99% -- not counting real felons .

At a gun show last summer I watched the dealer call and go thru 6 of us for NICS.  Me and another guy were accepted, the others referred.  Yep, he and I were the only ones to fill in the "optional" box.

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 9:25:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Buy a rack grade from CMP.  I have gotten two now and they are just as good as the SG rifles I have recieved from them.  It both cases, the TE was about a 3 and the muzzle wear was good.  One or two small pits in the bore is all that made them classify the rifles as RG.  They shoot nice groups.  I shot four deer with my winny RG this year.  You won't do any better.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 2:22:57 PM EDT
[#8]
These are what showed up at my door today. Really nice shape, tight lockup on both, and the HRA has a complete IHC trigger group...awesome.

Link Posted: 12/16/2003 3:45:40 PM EDT
[#9]
None of mine came with a pink thingie..... .

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 5:31:55 PM EDT
[#10]
what grade are those and what is the lead time on garands right now? someone told me lead time could be a year?
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 6:56:26 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
what grade are those and what is the lead time on garands right now? someone told me lead time could be a year?

more like a month.  The past few months I've seen people saying they got theirs anywhere from 2-6 weeks
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 7:00:10 PM EDT
[#12]
I think mine was here in about 3 weeks from when I mailed the paperwork.  I ended up with an Service Grade Springfield.  Some research and a lot of help from Chuck, and it looks like I got a 1953 SA with a majority of its original parts.  Excellent shooter.  I would definitely buy from the CMP again.  I'm actually pressing the wife really hard for another one for my birthday.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 8:15:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Holy crap, I want one!  How do I buy one of these through the CMP?  I've heard I have to be in a club and shoot a match.  I'm a minor, will that help?  I also plan on joining the Navy in less than a year, will that help?please, explain this process to me, the Garand is one of my favorite designs.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 8:49:03 PM EDT
[#14]
First, you have to be a member of an affiliated club. The Garand Collectors Association is a great one. You get a quarterly magazine that has LOTS of good information,  and its only 25 bucks a year to join.

You have to have some sort of certification stating you were in an NRA approved range course, and you fired at least 50 rounds downrange. I took a ccw class and got mine that way.

You have to show proof of US citizenship.

If you are in the military, the range certification is waived.

I think thats it. Garands are super guns...lots of fun and lots of history. I suggest getting Scott Duff's book BEFORE you buy one.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 9:12:37 PM EDT
[#15]
So, does being a minor hurt me?  Can I be in the affiliated club, have the range time, and get my mother to buy the rifle for me?  I have always been facinated with Garands but have been put off by the high prices in the shops.

*****EDIT*****

Could you please post a link to the Garand Collector's Association?
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 4:24:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 4:26:03 PM EDT
[#17]
The application says that certain rifles may be available for purchase for minors by a parent or guardian.

www.odcmp.com/Forms/1orderform.pdf
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 5:47:13 AM EDT
[#18]
Many local shooting clubs have a monthly Garand Qualification Match.  Nominal cost.  You fulfil all the "high power experience" requirements in a day.

NRA membership is neither required nor qualifies.

Current (and former) US military members get a bye on the high power experience, but not the affilliated club or citizenship requirements.

-- Chuck
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top