Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/12/2003 1:24:29 AM EDT
I want an M1A. I want a versitle weapon that I can use. I hunt hogs recreationally, but most of my shots are under 200 yards. This gun will mainly be for ranch use. I was tired of my Ar and its phinicky ways, so i decided I'd move up to an M1A.

I am not sure what model I even want. I used to want the scout because it was easier to wield... but I have been looking at the full battle rifles lately and like them.

I think I will end up staying with the open sights also. But is there a huge advantage to running a scope?

I honestly want a gun that is TOUGH, will fire every time I pull the trigger, and shoots tight groups.

Reliability is my first priority.

What are the drawbacks of the scout model? Should i be looking for an older model?

I would be willing to spend up to 1500... but i want a gun for positions shooting, not a gun I'll need to shoot from abench... lighter is always better.

Doug
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 2:41:32 AM EDT
[#1]
agwheeler

You just answered your own question by saying lighter is always better.  Since the range you want to use this is 200 yards the scout model is a good design but the scope mount heats up quickly.  I would go with the bush rifle and stay with the iron sights.  

If you can find a full size model for 950-1100 it would be a good deal.  The most desired M14/M1A is one with the most GI Parts on it.  Since you desire a shooter and not a collector.

The M1/M14 design is very reliable.  

I hope this helps.

max
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 8:05:52 AM EDT
[#2]
The bush barrel makes the rifle quite a bit handier.

For reliability go for the maximum number of USGI parts -- Especially the barrel!  A USGI barrel will be chromelined.  Hard to find a short barrel that started life as USGI, so keep this in mind.  The barrel is marked under the operating rod.  Lock it to the rear and you can read the year and maker.  Early 1960s is what you're looking for.

-- Chuck
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top