Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/28/2003 9:54:58 PM EDT
I just put one back today.I have been thinking/dreaming about an M14 for some time but just hadnt been able to find one in the area. Well I went to the funshop toaday to pick up another Mauser to build and there it was.Price was 550.00 out the door.I only had 1/2 but will be able to pick it up Monday. SN is 0618x anyone know how to find the build date?
Man Im jazzed. Anything I should know or watch for on this rifle?
Link Posted: 10/29/2003 1:01:44 AM EDT
[#1]
There is no single, definitive data base regarding the importation dates or dates of manufacture for Chinese M14 clones. The importation began sometime in the late 80's(probably 88/89). These rifles were effected by the 89 imported "assault weapons ban" (took effect in 1990). This ban like the 94 ban addressed the cosmetic features of the rifle.
The configuration was changed to comply with the ban and they were banned from further importation in 93 IIRC. Thus, all Chinese M14's in the USA were here before the 94 ban. Of course, not all are technically pre ban. They had to be configured as AW's prior to the 94 ban.
That means that after the 89 ban, the rifle must have been "rebuilt" with the correct type and number of domestically manufactured parts to no longer be considered an "imported assault weapon" (much the same as the AK's coming in now). Prior to the 94 ban the rifle must have legally been in an AW configuration.
Some of these rifles while imported prior to the 94 ban, were held by importers and not sold to distributors until after the ban. These can not be configured as AW's until after the 94 ban expires. Even then, as "imported AW's", they must be "rebuilt" with domestic parts to be configured as AW's. The 89 ban still applies and does not expire with the 94 ban.
One way to tell when your rifle was imported and sold is to contact the importer. Even then, it's a crap shoot. Many of the importers are no longer in business. The ATF may or may not be willing/able to trace the rifle for you. I've heard that they are obligated under the "Freedom of Information Act". I've also heard that they don't trace firearms unless the weapon is part of an on going investigation. The only other way is to have a paper trail from the original owner to you.

Another thing to consider is that nobody seems to be sure that these rifles were imported in order of serial number though it is generally accepted that low serial numbers are early imports and high serial numbers are late imports.
Incidentally, these rifles are still being imported into Canada as well as a number of other countries.
$550.00 is a great price. Stock up on U.S.G.I. parts and work to keep the AW ban from being renewed.

This is the law as I understand it, YMMV. It is your rifle after all. Do with it what you please, at your own risk.

If you want to discuss your rifle and some of the "alleged" problems with some happy owners go here; www.battlerifles.com

If you want an "expert" opinion of Chinese M14 clones, go here and click on M14 information www.smithenterprise.com/gen_info.htm
Link Posted: 10/29/2003 3:30:58 AM EDT
[#2]
The new Chinese M14 rifles currently being sold in Canada -- where there are no "bans" import, or otherwise, all have metric threads on the muzzle/flash supressor.  Appears to be the only thing wrong with them.

These sell new in the box for $399.  That's dollarettes, or about $250 'merican money.  Can't buy a bare receiver in the US for that price.  Gotta wonder why we're getting gouged here, probably 'cuz Springfield is selling theirs for $1100+.

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 10/29/2003 5:35:37 AM EDT
[#3]
The following pretty much restates what Sukebe wrote above with a few other details.  This information was gathered from Chinese M14 owners off the AssaultWeb and BattleRifles boards.  From my website http://m14.freeservers.com/about.html

PRC M14 Type Rifles - Norinco in the Peoples Republic of China produces M14 rifles.  Polytech Insustries is a Chinese marketing firm that sold the better finish Norinco made M14 rifles.  They are sold as Polytech Industries brand M14 rifles.  Chinese semi-automatic M14 rifles have been exported to Canada, Norway and the United States for sale to private owners. Three companies imported Chinese M14 rifles into the United States prior to the September 1994 enactment of the Violent Crime Control Act. IDE and Keng's imported Polytech Industries M14/S rifles. Century Arms International imported both Polytech Industries and Norinco M14 type rifles. Polytech Industries M14/S rifles in the U. S. are generally regarded as pre-94 ban. Some of the Norinco M14 Sporter rifles were sold prior to 09/13/94 and some were warehoused by the importer then sold after 09/13/94. If a Chinese made M14 type rifle was not assembled with sufficient U. S. made parts prior to 09/13/94 (to allow installation of a flash suppressor per the March 1989 import ban) the rifle must comply with the 1994 ban on semi-automatic rifle features. It is best for the owner of a Chinese made M14 rifle to check with the U. S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives regarding a specific rifle serial number. Some of the Polytech Industries M14/S rifles are marked on the receiver heel and some are not. In either case, the serial number is stamped on the receiver below the stock line. Norinco M14 type rifles are marked M-14, M14 Sporter or M305 on the scope mount side of the receiver. Polytech Industries rifles have a better reputation for receiver surface machining and finish over the Norinco stamped rifles. The Presidential Executive Order import ban of March 1989 affected the Chinese M14 rifles brought into the United States. Subsequent to the import ban, Chinese M14 type rifles entered the US market with a rubber recoil pad instead of the buttplate, the bayonet lug ground off, the flash suppressor castle nut welded on and the flash suppressor either removed or installed without the open slots. Some of the Chinese M14 rifles were rebuilt by the importer after the March 1989 import ban with U. S. made parts including the USGI flash suppressor. This was legal until the September 1994 ban. Additionally, after the March 1989 import ban Armscorp, Federal Ordnance and Century Arms International assembled M14 type rifles using American made receivers and Chinese parts sets.
Link Posted: 10/29/2003 12:15:36 PM EDT
[#4]

The Norinco M305(M14) Rifles that are up here in Canada also have metric threads for the gas cylinder lock.The threads are close enough for the castle nut that people have been using a USGI nut for their flashsuppressor and it seems to work.But the USGI gas lock won't work this way.

For $399.00 Cdn, they are one hell of a deal up here.The rifles we are getting are of newer production and have none of the soft bolt issues of the earlier years.A fellow on our site did a hardness test of a newer Norinco bolt and a couple of USGI bolts.The USGI bolts were slightly harder then the Norinco bolt, but the Norinco was still within Mil Spec range for hardness.

These rifles also feature a forged reciever and Op Rod.

Most of us have been swapping in USGI parts when we can find them at a decent price.

If you want more info on the Norinco M305s and the what we have been doing to them, check out our Canadian Firearms site at:

www.canadiangunnutz.com

There are LOTS of threads on these rifles here.

This is my Norinco M14 with the following done:

- TRW USGI Trigger Assembly
- TRW USGI Op Rod
- Springfield USGI bolt (headspaced at 1.628")
- USGI Fiberglass stock painted by myself
- S.A. 3rd Generation scope mount
- Tasco PDP 5 Red Dot sight
- Custom made Stainless Steel one piece N.M. recoil spring guide
- Custom adjustable cheek piece

For those of you interested, the cheek piece and recoil spring guide are availble and can be seen here:

www.whamocamo.bizland.com/rooster33/

HTH.   SKBY.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top