Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/23/2003 9:45:58 AM EDT
After reading a few other posts, I know how to battle zero my rifle, clean it properly and keep it in good running form.

A lot of members also posts advice about getting spare USGI parts, but never mentioned which parts were more in demand then other and which parts tend to wear a lot faster.

I have what I believe to be a really nice rifle and want to keep it this way, so what extra parts do I really need?

TIA

PS.  Can't give you guys a range report yet, since the wind has not stopped blowing sustained 20 mph for the past 2 days.  ARGH!
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 10:11:04 AM EDT
[#1]
you can get a ton of spare parts "kits" check out Fulton Armory.  

Bolt Repair Kit 40.00

Gas Cylinder Repair Kit, includes New USGI Gas Piston, Spindle Valve, Pin & Spring, and Gas Cylinder Shim Set 35.00

Spring Kit, USGI, all the springs for the M14/M1A Includes op rod spring, spindle valve spring, extractor spring & plunger, ejector spring & plunger, safety spring, hammer spring, and mag catch spring. 20.00

Trigger Group Repair Kit, includes Hammer & Trigger Pins, Hammer, Trigger & Sear and Hammer Spring Housing 40.00

Pin Kit, all the roll pins for the M14/M1A 6.00

what do you really need?  that's a loaded question.  are you a survival nut?  do you think you will have to do your own gunsmithing?  if so i would get every repair kit and all the tools i could.  if you plan to shoot the gun say 500-1000 rounds over the course of it's life i wouldn't get anything.  if the gun breaks send it into Springfield or Fulton armory and let a gun smith fix it.  if you plan to shoot competitively and want to get into beding your stock etc i would get a pin and spring kit.  if it had a factory glass bed job i would not remove the action from the stock.  I feel you need to send it back in and have it reworked after removing it two or three times.

good luck.  what brand did you get?

Link Posted: 10/23/2003 11:05:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Springfield Armory "Limited" Loaded version made in 1998 NIB with factory tags still on the trigger guard (actually the safety lock).

Link Posted: 10/29/2003 4:36:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Another good resource for M1A pieces/parts is Freds M14 stocks, www.fredsm14stocks.com.  He also takes out a full 2 page ad in every Shotgun News.  Has a lot of stuff that will make it a little easier to square away your M1A.  The Shotgun News also carries Fulton Armory ads along with a bunch of others where you will be able to get magazines, LBE, and other gear for your new rifle.  Congrats on the new purchase BTW.  Mine will shoot Portugese or SA surplus into about an inch at 100 yards - and that's with an obligatory flyer that drives me nuts.  Good luck with the rifle, and make sure you properly break in the barrel.  It's a giant pain in the arse, but its worth it. If you need information on breaking in the barrel, talk to the people at Springfield - they have always been friendly and courteous with me.  Good shooting to ya!
Link Posted: 10/29/2003 5:43:03 AM EDT
[#4]
My $0.02, the bare bones minimum spare parts are

ejector and ejector spring
extractor and extractor spring
firing pin
trigger pin

Bare bones tools list

USGI M14 cleaning kit
Drill bits (sizes P and 15) to clean gas system
1/16" and 7/64" allen wrenches (used for castle nut screw and front sight screw)
gas cylinder lock wrench
flash suppressor nut wrench
3/32" punch (used for bolt stop and stripper guide pins)
bore light

Five to eight magazines per M14 type rifle should be plenty.  Pick up some extra magazine springs from Elite Firearms, Sarco or Numrich Gun Parts but you probably won't need them.

The gas pistons typically last 10,000 to 15,000 rounds.  The gas cylinders typically last 40,000 rounds.  I've read of one case of a commercial made (not USGI) operating rod breaking after 40,000 rounds through the rifle by the second owner.
Link Posted: 10/29/2003 5:44:51 AM EDT
[#5]
The USGI M14 butt stock cleaning kit has a chamber brush, the M14 combo tool, bore brush, patch jag, four rod sections, rod carry case, and oil/grease bottle.  The M14 combo tool is a must IMO.  

From my website http://m14.freeservers.com/about.html

The M14 combination tool is very handy. The following tasks can be performed with this tool: 1) tighten or loosen the gas cylinder plug 2) tighten and loosen the rear sight knobs 3) remove or install the buttplate screws 4) remove or install the muzzle stabilizer 5) remove or install the M2 bipod 6) act as a handle for the cleaning kit rod 7) disassemble and assemble the bolt 8) operate the spindle valve 9) push cartridges from a stripper into the magazine 10) disengage the connector lock from the operating rod spring guide during disassembly and 11) tighten or loosen the hex head bolt of the A.R.M.S. # 18 scope mount. The combination tool also protects the bristles of the chamber brush while stowed in the buttstock.
Link Posted: 10/29/2003 10:32:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/29/2003 11:06:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks guys, advice well taken.

Links have been copied.

Now if the wind would stop blowing or stop raining, I could get a chance to shoot it.
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 1:33:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Now that you own a service rifle it is time to become a rifleman.

Sandbaggers and M1a rifles do not go well togather.

Get a 1907 sling or a GI web sling and learn to use it.

The most important thing to remember is that a rifleman never shoots on a bench.
Link Posted: 11/2/2003 6:37:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Cornbread2, understood!

Time to work up a good load for the M1A using Sierra 168 gr. bthp.....made the decision to feed it only a healthy diet.

All apart of the process.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top