Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/12/2003 9:56:52 PM EDT
I just purchased a loaded Springfield M1A.  It worked well with Federal ammo, but I had some bad jams with the Portugese surplus.  The last one was a failure to extract where the brass was stuck in the bore and I had to ram it out with a cleaning rod.  Has anyone else had this problem?
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 3:48:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 4:12:44 AM EDT
[#2]
BB493, is it a stainless steel barrel or a chromium molybdenum alloy barrel?
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 11:16:36 AM EDT
[#3]
It's got the national match carbon barrel.  I didn't know to make sure I had chrome when I bought it.  I was mostly pissed off because I didn't have a cleaning rod with me when we took it to the canyon to shoot and I only got four rounds through it before the brass got jammed.  Now I have two battle packs of surplus that I don't want to risk shooting in it.  I'm just wondering if I keep shooting it if the chamber will loosen up a bit as part of the break in or if it was just becase there were problems with the surplus ammo.
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 3:20:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 4:14:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Not true! Firing 65,000 rounds over ten days ought to fix any roughnesses. Of course be ready to cool the barrel every thirty minutes. Lets see, 6500 a day. Say ten hours of shooting with a helper. That's 650 an hour. That's reasonable... you got money for that much ammo?
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 8:19:07 PM EDT
[#6]
It's got the synthetic stock on it so there's no buttstock trap door to put it in.  I had 7 different guns with me that day and pretty much had everything you could think of except the cleaning kit.  As for the ammo, if it was .45 there wouldn't be a problem, I have a ton of that.  I'm not so rich in the .308/ 7.62.

Doggonit, where in Jersey are you?  I got my extra .45 while I was in NJ when Rays on Rt. 22 accidentally gave me an extra 1000 rounds of .45.  I actually tried to turn it back in because I thought they would realize the mistake and bill me, but they said once it leaves the store, it's mine.  $50 at the UPS store and it's now in Colorado.
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 8:26:56 PM EDT
[#7]
hmmm....I have a loaded M1A w/a stainless bbl and it will shoot Port just fine.  I have 3 cases of it in the garage right now.  My Rem 700 vs will shoot it, but you have to pound on the bolt to get it to open.
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 5:30:03 AM EDT
[#8]
I too have a "Loaded" with the stainless barrel.......it shoots the Port. ammo rather well.
HOWEVER - I do get an occassional problem round.  Failures to eject are not uncommon (maybe 1 in 30 to 40 rounds) and even a few that failed to fire at all the 1st time.

making sure your chamber & gas system is cleaned regularly will help - but you have to expect a few of these bad rounds..........Shoot - they're 20 to 30 years old, build in 3rd World countries....you can't expect Rocket Science from them folks.

Link Posted: 10/16/2003 1:05:01 PM EDT
[#9]
My standard has never had a failure of any kind with Port ammo in about 3,000 rounds and it shoots 1.5MOA with it.

In fact I have shot a lot of Hirt,SA,LC,RG and Federal factory and never had a single problem.

Since I have had the rifle I have had one failure to extract. It was with one of the three rounds of the Indian junk someone gave me.

I do have a friend that does sometimes have a failure to extract with RG in his NM rifle.
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 10:40:16 PM EDT
[#10]
My m1a Loaded has gone thru 600 rounds of port with no problems.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top