Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/12/2003 2:40:57 PM EDT
I was out shooting my new "service grade" FAM-14 today and yesterday and here are the results. I got a new stock, NM sites and NM trigger added to mine. It has a TRW bolt and barrel. The combination of new walnut and deep black metal finish is a real thrill to see in a rifle! I shot Cavim 90 out of it at a 100 yard 10 inch gong from offhand. Accuracy was what I was hoping for, 1.5 inch at 50 from the table without really touching the sites. I ajusted up and left a couple clicks to ring the gong at 100; I like a 6 o'clock hold. Malfunctions consisted of the bolt failing to get the extractor over the rim of a cartridge once in a while. I would tap it closed if I noticed it before firing, or if not there would just be no shot. Will this cease as the parts "break-in"? Also a couple failures to strip a round off the mag which I fixed by correctly locking the thing into the well. I stoode there and whacked the gong with almost 400 rounds this weekend, getting used to the rifle and having fun.So far so good.
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 7:16:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Matt, just a thought.  Use a thin toothpick and check to see that your gas cylinder is correctly aligned with the barrel.  Before you do that check to see if the gas cylinder plug is snug (not gorilla gripped) instead of loose.  You might also clean any carbon out of the gas piston if you have not done so.  
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 6:20:49 PM EDT
[#2]
 Also, while Cavim is not the worst ammo you can use...there are better sources...Cavim is really hit and miss sometimes...try another ammo and your groups will probably improve and so will reliability.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top