Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/20/2003 3:04:41 PM EDT
What products do you use to clean and lube your Garand's and M1A's? Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/20/2003 3:23:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Same as the AR's.

Hoppes #9 semi-auto and Militec.

MM419
Link Posted: 9/20/2003 5:25:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Household ammonia cleaner (1/2 gallon $1.49) to clean the barrel, Slick 50 One Grease (TM) (14.5 ounce tube for $4.27)to lube and an old t-shirt to clean the receiver.  I use RB-17 as a standby cleaner.  
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 9:05:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Just like the Army:  CLP.

These need a bit of grease.  Tetra is excellent.

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 3:42:15 PM EDT
[#4]
I have never cleaned mine since I have owned it. I have wiped it down with a rag and regreased though. I use the grease that comes in the tiny jar with the yellow cap.
GG
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 4:04:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Butch's Bore Shine on the bore and chamber with bronze brush, Dewey rod and jag and after years of cutting up T-shirts for patches, I now buy pre-cut double napped patches from Sinclair, cutting patches was a pain in the backside. (still have to cut them to mop out the chamber though.

If cleaning in the house I use M Pro7 instead of the Butch's, no smell and keeps the wife happy.  Tetra Grease on the bolt pivots and oprod channel.  I can  do the whole routing in about 20 minutes including wiping the exterior down.  This for the M1A or M1, I don't pull it out of the stock as they are both bedded.

I bought an Otis pull through kit. Easy enough to use, but I somehow doubt anything this easy really gets it as clean as I like.  Will be excelent for at the range or 'emergency use' because it packs into its own tiny zip up case. plus one kit does the AR15 and the 30 caliber battle rifles.
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 4:38:11 AM EDT
[#6]
I second the Otis system. Nothing has ever gone down the barrel in the opposite direction.
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 4:18:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Boresnake now and then... of course for a proper cleaning it MUST be a proper cleaning solution. That is Mpro7, the only cleaner which works 100% of the time and which doesn't harm me in any way (as long as I don't drink it or use it to clean my eyes, nose, ears, etc.)
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 6:50:28 AM EDT
[#8]
I use Kroil to clean and GI Grease to lube my Garands, Carbines, and M1A's. Wilson Oil gor my other weapons and Sweets for the bore of my Garands Carbines and M1A's about every 500 rounds or so.....
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 6:26:18 PM EDT
[#9]
 Just switched to Butch's Bore Shine.  Dewey one piece rod, tetra grease and oil, and usually Mpro7 for a flush...followed by a little WD-40 that I usually air dry after letting most of it run off.
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 2:23:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Dewey SS one piece rod, Dewey rod guide, Hoppes, CLP, and Lubriplate.  The only thing I use a brush on is the chamber using a GI chamber brush.  The barrel is cleaned with patches only.
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 2:31:26 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Dewey rod guide

How does this work on Garands and M1A/M14s, Seth?

As stated above, I use same products used on all my rifles:

Sweets 7.62
SuperTech 2000 carb-cleaner from Walmart (no methanol)
CLP for lube
Dry-Lube in dusty or sandy climes.

Mike
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 3:37:37 AM EDT
[#12]
The rod guide slides over the muzzle allowing the rod to be perfectly centered in the bore, greatly reducing the chances of the rod damaging the bore.  I can't remember how much they cost exactly, somewhere between $5 to $7.  Very cheap insurance, especially when you are scrubbing the bore with copper solvent for minutes at a time.

Here is a link to one at Midway's site along with a picture.  

www.midwayusa.com/ebrowse.exe/browse?TabID=7&CategoryID=8871&CategoryString=659+***+658+***

M1A/M14 guide

M1 Garand guide
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 6:34:42 AM EDT
[#13]
For a M14 bore guide, I just use a 12 gauge shotgun shell with the primer knocked out. It fits over the flash suppressor and centers my Dewey one piece cleaning rod. Does the same thing as a commercal guide without the cost and ordering.
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 7:45:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Thanks, Seth and ArmyOG, learn something new everyday here, much obliged.

Gotta get me one of those.

Mike
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top