Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/12/2003 11:54:26 AM EDT
Anyone else ever buy M1 garand ammo on the en-bloc clips, only to find that 99% of the clips do not have the rounds properly seated in the clip? I bought some korean ammo (half of which is corrosive...grr) and every bloody clip seems to have at least 2 rounds that are not seated fully against the back of the clip.

This, as you can imagine, makes clip insertion in a hurry impossible. I have taken to slapping the rounds nose first against a hard surface, and this seems to seat them most of the time. But I still often have to take the rounds out and re-load the clip.

I bought some Danish ammo that is still packed in the original bandoliers. This ammo is in brand new clips and does not share the problem...

I guess the lesson here is to avoid korean ammo if you can, right?
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 12:29:47 PM EDT
[#1]
It was made in Korea, what do you want?

Accually, I didn't have too much trouble with the Korean stuff I bought. Never had any problems with the clips.

People ask me why I'm spraying Windex down the bore after shooting that stuff though...

Av.
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 4:15:07 PM EDT
[#2]
If your Korean ammo has the KA-72 headstamp it is corrosive.

I know this to be fact from personal experience. I just wish the bastards that sell the stuff would admit it.

Corrosive ammo is not a problen as long as you KNOW it is corrosive.
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 7:28:58 AM EDT
[#3]
hitting the tips of cartidges in clips to seat is a very bad idea-may cause bullet to set back in case rather than round in clip- also what if you are trying to force back a cartridge that has a high prime back into clip?
suggest next time youre watching saving private ryan you unclip and reclip all rounds- doesn't take that long- I put 7 in clip manually push down on rounds individually then carefully put in round #8. you from time to time see surplus m-1's with tiny groups of pin punches in side of stock-these are from doing what youre doing on m-1 stock in combat
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 11:49:38 AM EDT
[#4]
It was standard pratice to to tap the rounds even in bloc clips.
I said tap, not pound. If you move a bullet that is crimped and has sealent (mil. rounds) you are pounding and not taping.
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 2:41:36 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Anyone else ever buy M1 garand ammo on the en-bloc clips, only to find that 99% of the clips do not have the rounds properly seated in the clip? I bought some korean ammo (half of which is corrosive...grr) and every bloody clip seems to have at least 2 rounds that are not seated fully against the back of the clip.

This, as you can imagine, makes clip insertion in a hurry impossible. I have taken to slapping the rounds nose first against a hard surface, and this seems to seat them most of the time. But I still often have to take the rounds out and re-load the clip.

I bought some Danish ammo that is still packed in the original bandoliers. This ammo is in brand new clips and does not share the problem...

I guess the lesson here is to avoid korean ammo if you can, right?

Are your clips marked?  I have some clips marked with a triangle and inside the triangle there is a J M, with an O underneath the J&M.  These clips give me fits trying to load the rounds into them nice and straight, no matter how hard I try.  I have no problems with any of my clips marked otherwise.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top