Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/11/2003 7:58:33 PM EDT
Does anyone know anything about this company? I've seen their name stamped into M1 barrels. Do they make whole rifles or just replacement parts? Do they still exist? How is the quality of their products?

Panzer Out

Link Posted: 9/11/2003 8:41:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Blue Sky is an importer (I think from Kalifornicate)who imported M1 Garands in the 1980's.

Most of those M1's had very dark barrels from shooting corrosive ammo.Parts on most I've seen were questionable but a few rifles were in nice shape.

I believe most of those M1's were Korean War vintage but I could be wrong on that.

They never made whole rifles or parts but rather imported them.
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 10:53:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Blue sky is a importer that stamped the barrel so hard it screwed them up. All blue sky guns must be checked for blue sky written in the rifling. Other than that it is a good gun that might have to be rebarreled.
GG
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 4:20:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Most of these were Garands the US gave Korea.

Most are very worn and some are completly wasted. You could buy them when they first came back into the country for around $250 to $350.

Every now and then you can find one with a decent barrel.

I wish we could still buy them for $250
Link Posted: 9/13/2003 5:06:19 AM EDT
[#4]
These are reputed to be Korean War battlefield scrounged weapons.  Look for pitting under the wood.

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 9/13/2003 7:44:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Picked Up 2 Garands & 2 carbines in the 80s; The Garands had sewer pipe bores, I actually dropped a .30cal projectile down one bore & it nearly fell all the way through; But the receivers & all other parts were in Excellent condition, I had Tony Pucci @ Orion7 convert one into a .308 tanker, The finish on the receiver & other parts was in such good shape that it did not have to reparked! The carbines were in very good shape, I reparked them & changed out the wood, They are beauties.
Link Posted: 9/13/2003 6:12:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Orion7 does good work. They are good and quick.

Fulton is also good but they may keep your rifle for six months.
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 12:49:06 PM EDT
[#7]
 I do believe "Blue Sky" is in Viginia...but I could be wrong...I too see them quite often and despite the fact that many have REALLY bad bores...the rest of the weapon usually seems in great shape.  Oh, I have seen gas tubes bent and tweeked too...but just put on a new one with a new barrel....and DAMN if that stamp on the barrel ain't DEEP!!!!!  I was wondering if it damaged them....glad to have confirmation on that.
Link Posted: 9/20/2003 4:16:26 AM EDT
[#8]
A number of years ago I picked up a Springfield Garand “Blue Sky”.  The barrel was in poor shape but the rest of the rifle was in very good condition.  I sent this rifle to Springfield Armory for a national match upgrade and a refinish which was just shy of $400.00 as I remember.  Now this rifle looks like it’s brand new and  I’m here to tell you it’s a shooter.  

Since then I’ve been keeping my eyes open for another “Blue sky” Garand, why?  Because people think they are worthless or nearly so.  But with only $700 invested I have a perfect M1 National Match Garand.
Link Posted: 9/20/2003 2:25:54 PM EDT
[#9]
"Blue Sky"  IS a Virginia importer.  My first Garand was one and I used it to qualify at Quantico for my CMP Certification.  The rifle was beautiful, and the barrel was abysmal!!  I finally sold it to buy my REAL CMP Garand...and got one of their "Lottery" M1D's  (Oh happy day!)
Link Posted: 9/27/2003 2:56:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Not all Blue Sky barrels are bad.  I've got one that is just about perfect.  I used to work in a gun store and at one point, we had about 15 in stock.  I was able to go through and pick one with a nice barrel and swapped out a NM charging handle, an incredible trigger group (I've never seen a better trigger on a military gun), perfectly tight gas tube and an unbelievable looking stock.  The Blue Sky stamp is VERY light and you have to know it is there to see it.

There are some sweethearts out there.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top