Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/2/2003 6:27:38 AM EDT
Hello

I would like to transform my M1A in someone like the M21 rifle I have seen on picture taken in Somalia. Anyone can help me to transform a stock, give me info on the scope, ect, ect,....

Thx
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 8:37:44 AM EDT
[#1]
There are a number of stock makers, but the one people usually contact for that is McMillan.  www.mcmfamily.com  .  They'll have the exact stock.  As far as the scope, your preference, though I suspect they are using US Optics, which essentially custom makes the scopes.  There are others.  Personally, I can't see the difference between a good Leupold and the others.  But, if your eyes are better, then go for it.  My kind of Leupold costs about $550. - $600.US at discount.  The fancy ones are $1,000.+ US.  A good source for scopes is   www.swfa.com  which has most of the good brands.

You'll also have to upgrade the M1A to justify all the fancy appearance items.  Unless you already have the premium barrels and GI bolts, etc., you will need a Super Match for starters.  BAsically you need all National MAtch mods, especially gas piston and trigger.  The sights are different, too, but since you ask about a scope they may not matter.  Indeed, the standard sights may be more useful at close ranges since you will use the scope for distance.  And, you need a Kreiger or similar barrel.  The standard  and match barrels are good, but the premium is needed to make a true package.

Good luck.

Link Posted: 9/2/2003 8:56:11 AM EDT
[#2]
what rjroberts is saying it it's cheaper to buy an M21.

that's true.  
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 10:41:44 AM EDT
[#3]
You could also re-post on Battlerifles.com. They are M14/M1a fanatics.

Karl
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 4:05:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Here are some places to check out and get some ideas :

www.fulton-armory.com/

www.smithenterprise.com/startpage.htm

battlerifles.com/

w3geek.net/~Hawk7173/index.php?sid=6fe8046848d973c12df24db8055734bb

Best Scope place on Planet :

www.riflescopes.com/

Best M1A Mount the ARMS #18

www.armsmounts.com/new.html

Good Luck and have fun with it ,

Jack
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 12:50:36 PM EDT
[#6]
If you are talking Somalia, ala Blackhawk Down, I would suggest a rack grade rifle, ARMS 18 scope mount, Aimpoint CompM2 and Aimpoint brand 30mm wide ring. You can always rebarrel, but Smith Enterprise is spendy to install one. I wouldn't send it anywhere else.

The accuracy might surprise you out of a rack grade M1A. Once you surpass the rifle, you can always opt for the NM upgrade.

if you are talking A-stan/Iraq, and are considering the DMR, you'd need the heavy weight barrel, Brookfield type mount, GG&G rings, not sure the glass (US Optics?)

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top