Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/26/2003 10:28:18 PM EDT
Hey guys,  I'm wondering if there are any special precautions to take when (if!!!???) I take/send in my Garand to be refinished.  I'd like it to be a dark black satin or gloss finish.

Ideally I'd like to pair it up with a really cool laminated stock I saw at the last gun show.

TIA
Jake
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 7:03:26 AM EDT
[#1]
umm... have plenty of $$ in your bank account??

Send it to Dean's Gun Restoration.  He does a phenomenal job.  You might contact him and see about fitting with a new stock.  Get the stock first, send the rifle and stock to him, and get back one beautiful gem of a rifle.  

Oh, and you are REQUIRED to post pictures when it's done.  Got it?
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 1:09:52 PM EDT
[#2]
I know of a couple good shops in the Phoenix Arizona area if you are interested in shipping it West.  Let me know...

I had a DCM M1 that I got about 15 years ago, It is a Springfield with a 1944 barrel and a fair shooter but mis-matchd wood and pretty much worn-off finish.

After a couple of years of hiding it in the back of the safe I had it done up nice.  sort of "Half-Match" using National Match sights, tuned gas system, etc.  The barrel was nearly perfect as measured by the 'smith and we decided to keep it.  I had the metal refinished a parkerized/baked epoxy coating in satin dark gray (almost black) and had him glass bed it in a black/gray Fajen laminated stock.  

It came out super nice!  I have shot it some over the years and it still looks like new as the finish is very durable.

Thinking back I sometimes wish I would have gone with a new walnut stock to have a more traditional look, but it is still really sharp.

Oh yeah, it shoots 3" groups at 200 yards with a good high=power shooter behind it, my groups are a bit over 2" at 100 yards, which is still very pleasing to me!

In a photo next to my SuperMatch M14 (black MaMillan stock), the M1 simply draws your eye away from the M1A.  The M1A is a real shooter by the way.
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 1:27:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks Matthew Q I'll check out Dean's website.
Of course on the pics, got to show it off.

BillSP1,  do any of those shops have websites?    I was almost thinking of just driving to Lauer CW (they're in WI I'm in MN)if they can do what I want.
Also do you have pics of those 2 rifles online?
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 9:47:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Jakezor, no pics online sorry.

My M1 Garand was fixed up by Phil Arrington of Arrington accuracy, web site is http://www.arringtonacuracy.com

The other guy local here also of some fame is Derek at Arizona Expert Arms (AZEX) he has a web site also, just do a search for Arizona Expert Arms.  I have a FAL he built that not only is the best looking FAL type I have ever seen, but it performs flawlessly jear after year.  Also have a Cetme that I had him redo; looks nice in OD green, but damned Century cast parts in the fire control group are breakage prone.  www.arizonaex.com

hope this helps.

send me your e-mail address via IM mail and I will send back the M1 pic as an attachment, it is a good pic, has the M1, M1A, and my 1903-A3 together.
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 3:15:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Bill I haven't gotten an email from you yet.  Another IM sent.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top