BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/17/2003 2:36:46 PM EDT
What do you know about this stock?  

www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976354464.htm

Link Posted: 8/17/2003 3:57:45 PM EDT
[#1]

Buy that and you are paying for a story as well as a stock. No such thing as U.S.G.I. contract camo stocks for the M14.
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 3:53:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Was it mad in the '60s at Springfield? What is its value? Is there a Q&A on M14 stock/parts identification? Thank you, Jason
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 4:43:07 PM EDT
[#3]
The stock is a surplus U.S.G.I. synthetic. Yes, it was made in the 60's. The camo paint job? I recall S.A. Inc. offering a camo'ed stock as an option at one time. S.A. Inc. was not around in the 60's. S.A. Inc. paints U.S.G.I. surplus synthetic stocks and sells that at a huge mark up. The U.S. Armed forces never had a contract for camo'ed M14 stocks regardless of what the seller is implying. The stock has no special value. It was over priced when S.A. Inc. sold it and it is over priced now. U.S.G.I. synthetic stocks can be had for as little as $10.00-$15.00. You can paint it yourself and do a pretty good job. If the paint job on this one is anything like the black painted stocks S.A. Inc. is currently offering, then it is a piece of crap.

Edited to clarify;

McMillan does sell camo'ed synthetic M14 stocks to the U.S. Govt.. However, they are made for accurized sniper and DMR rifles. This isn't one of them.
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 5:52:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Appears to be 1980s Woodland Camouflage pattern, something unlikely to have been applied in the 1960s.....

SF folks were early advocates of the M16 anyway.  

Snipers tend to want to decorate their rifles themselves, the scoped M14 rifles my LRRP unit used plain, brown stocks.

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 9:08:25 AM EDT
[#5]
I have the same stock which I use for field use.
It looks great & I get lots of pos comments.
However I did have to pay my smith $40 to fit it properly & I paid $100 for the stock.
Even so, the look is way cooler than a GI fiberglass, especially in the field here in FL.
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 9:41:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Seems to look like this maybe?

This is a USGI Fiberglass stock with camo paint done by Freds.  Fred is the premier internet M14 stock dealer.  A plain unpainted USGI fiberglass stock will cost you $17 for OK to $45 for new condition.   All include metal and handguard.

Paint it yourself  or buy one from Fred done already (which I think that one in the auction is as it looks identical to mine and I think I got mine from Freds).  Fred doesn't always have them available and right now the sight doesn't show any.

www.fredsm14stocks.com

Nothing wrong with the stock.  You do need to know if it  is for an M1A  or M14 (selector cutout) to match your rifle.

If you are seriously interested in a camo stock for an M1A or M14 I would go to

www.battlerifles.com

There are several guys there  who do it for a living.

Link Posted: 8/23/2003 10:00:47 AM EDT
[#7]

One USGI Fiberglass stock from "cheaper than dirt"

One Krylon cammo spray paint kit from Wal-Mart.

Homemade stencils cut from cheap printer paper.

One evening in the garage.

Two beers.

Link Posted: 8/23/2003 10:30:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Wow.  Nice work.  I would have thought that would take at least 3-4 beers.  Good work.

Link Posted: 8/24/2003 6:30:33 AM EDT
[#9]
I'd like to see one using the same square dot pattern as the new USMC BDUs.  This pattern blurs out very nicely compared to the hard lines used on most patterns.

Probably have to be machine applied, though.

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 8:34:50 AM EDT
[#10]
I bought a NIB standard model SA, Inc. M1A dressed in a factory woodland camo stock and hand guard in 1993.  I'm still kicking myself for selling it.

Here's a photo of my NFA registered select fire M1A in desert camo.  The paint job is by www.sparrowhawkm14.com

Link Posted: 8/24/2003 12:09:09 PM EDT
[#11]
That was the place.  Sparrowhawk.  He makes awesome stuff.  Excellent stocks.  

He also makes a non-functional selector switch to create an authentic look for M1As.

Link Posted: 8/24/2003 6:27:51 PM EDT
[#12]
That's the same stock I saw on GunBroker.
Price is a little on the high side though.

I mean real high.
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 11:52:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Chuck, here's a photo of Karsten's Karpat camo for the M14.  His web site is www.imageseek.com/karsten

Link Posted: 8/26/2003 12:13:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Another option to getting a great camo stock is Whamo-Camo. Sixtgunr does a fantastic job, he is a true artist.  

www.whamo-camo.com
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top