Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/3/2003 9:42:03 AM EDT
I'm thinking about buying a scout/squad (OK I'm going to do it but I'm in the wife mandated cooling off period.)  I want to know if anybody has found a way to co-witness the existing iron sight with an aimpoint or eotech either mounted on the forward rail or over the reciever.  If you have and can post pics I would appreciate it.  If no one has, ARMS and GG&G if your reading this I'll buy the first mount.
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 9:58:19 AM EDT
[#1]
The M14 sights aren't high enough to have the same zero for both the irons and M68 CCO, and without a special mount the dot sight will obscure the sight line of the iron sights.

The trajectory differences are minimal, however.

I tried this, didn't like it, and removed the forward "scout" rail, converting a "Scout Squad" rifle into a Bush.

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 1:06:13 PM EDT
[#2]
I've got a Bushnell scout scope mounted in low rings and there really isn't a chance for co-wittnessing.  My head has to move a fair amount to view the scope and when I do, the rear sight is at the very bottom of the objective lense.  I can't imagine you could lower the scope enough to make it work.
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 2:39:15 PM EDT
[#3]
If you can't co-witness is there anything out there that will allow you to use both without removing the optics.  Maybe it would be possible to mount an optic with a mount that had a way to see through it with the iron sights?  From what I can remember about the M1A sights it wouldn't have to be a real big hole through the mount to use the iron sights.
Link Posted: 8/5/2003 6:40:45 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a hard enough time getting a good cheek weld with low rings.  I wouldn't want to mess with anything higher than absolutely required.  If your optics ever fail, a quick release mount is probably your best option.  Faulty optics would just be in the way so get them out of there.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top