Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/29/2003 6:55:07 AM EDT
I just got a SA M1 from a member of the M1 Collectors Association that is selling his life's collection.....what pretty guns he has too.  I may have to get a 2nd.  Any way I wanted a shooter not a wall hanger so I got the one with the best barrel he had.  The TE is less than 1.5 muzzle was I belive under 1?  The bore look like a new rifle but the markings on the barrel confuse me.  They are,

SA 653XXXX    3  84  Y51   P  M

Is the barrel from 84 or was it a 51 barrel put on in 84?  I have no idea.  Love the rifle is like new.

Receiver is a 347xxxx generation.

Thanks.  Now I have to get the never issued Smith Corona 1903A3 out of lay the guy had.  And more Garand before he sells out.
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 8:21:14 AM EDT
[#1]
there were no GI barrels being made for the M1 Garand in 1984... most likely the 8 is a 6 that looks funny..... the Y51 is the barrel steel lot code the P is for the proof firing and the M means the barrel was particle magnifluxed
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 12:29:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes I believe you are correct it is a 6 so its a 64 barrel then.  Thanks for your help.  Now is she will shoot as good as she looks.  I am happy for the 700 she cost me.
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 5:33:57 PM EDT
[#3]
FWIW, the SA 6535448 is the barrel's drawing number not the serial number. SN is only stamped on the receiver and not on other parts. The 65XXXXX or 55XXXXX prefix is used on nearly all post WW2 components.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top