Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/20/2003 4:08:16 PM EDT
Back in January I broke a trigger pin on my M1A and SA was very good about sending me a replacement quickly in the mail without question.  Today I was at the range with the M1A and suddenly the accuracy went to hell in a handbag and then the trigger got real mushy and I knew the pin was broken and sure enough after taking it apart the pin was in 2 pieces.  Stay tuned to see how SA handles this latest failure.  I really love this rifle but this is getting strange.
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 4:14:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Just curious.Was it in the SA commercial trigger group.
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 5:13:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Tim, maybe its time to get a completely new trigger group from them.  There might be a flaw in the trigger geometry that's causing undue stress and snapping the pins.  See if they'll do that.
Link Posted: 7/21/2003 5:26:03 AM EDT
[#3]
yup, you may need to go for a new trigger group
Link Posted: 7/21/2003 10:14:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Just got off the phone with cust. service at SA and they too agreed that perhaps there is a problem with the trigger group.  They are sending me 2 trigger pins and a new trigger group and will check out the old one and let me know if they find any fault with the group that is causing these pins to break.
Link Posted: 7/21/2003 10:28:00 AM EDT
[#5]
At least the lifetime warranty is on your side.

Now if ya can only get a trigger group that'll work for ya,maybe ya can concentrate on shooting instead of that darn trigger pin.

Best of luck.
Link Posted: 7/21/2003 7:45:40 PM EDT
[#6]
What does one do!?

I have the dough for an M1A right now, does it have to be this way?
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 4:02:34 PM EDT
[#7]
 Dollars to doughnuts  ( or whatever that phrase is ) you had cast pins or they were over hardened.  Where I work we run into overhardened dowel pins all the time.  The damn this are so friggin hard that when they shatter the metal matrix looks CAST.

I fyour new trigger group does the same order replacement parts from Fulton Armory.
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 11:49:12 AM EDT
[#8]
I'll bet the hammer hooks are hitting high on the trigger when the trigger is held back.

To check, remove trigger group, hold trigger fully back (shoot position) as you reset the hammer observe where the hammer hooks first hit the trigger.  If it is too far up on the trigger it stresses the pin as all the force is down onto the pin if the range of the trigger to cam out of the way is exceeded.
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 2:57:21 PM EDT
[#9]
I'll check that out!  Thanks
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 7:27:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Tim,
im beginning to think you are cursed
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 6:35:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Did the problem resolve itself? Working fine?
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 10:48:42 PM EDT
[#12]
I haven't ever seen a trigger pin break. Had on back out once though. Staked it and it ran fine.
Smith Enterprises makes hardened hammer and trigger pins.
Good luck.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top