Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/13/2003 3:01:50 PM EDT
anyone know how good these mags are for the M1A.have a chance to buy several & need to know of any problems with them. they will be range only mags if that helps
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 4:19:37 PM EDT
[#1]
I have one (1).  Works in the M14, won't work in the M1A.  No clue why, but I've not spent any time on it.

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 12:09:55 AM EDT
[#2]
I owned three years ago. I bought them right after the AW bill hit us as the thermolds were still cheap. I had the same experience Chuck had. None of them worked in my Federal arms and one only worked in the one M1A while the other two only liked the other M1A. Buying thermolds is like a crap shoot- you never know what the dice will roll... BTY I got rid of mine... they just were not worth it. Try Coles or Sarco for used GI 20 rounders for $36.99.. you will be much happier.
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 3:54:47 AM EDT
[#3]
CB and guys,

I bought 5 new Thermolds a few years back.  They all required "fitting" in order to work properly, but now work just fine in my M1-A.

The mag catch lug on the back edge of the magazine body had to be shortened on the bottom edge with a dremel cutting wheel.  As made, the lug is too long for the mag catch to ride over the end.  Just shorten it a bit at a time until the mag catch engages and you are fine.

Feed lips....  The feed lips are a bit oversized as well and drag against the bottom of the bolt.

Insert a mag, then work the bolt by hand a dozen times.  Remove the mag and inspect the lips for rub marks.  Slowly grind these areas back until you stop feeling resistance in the bolt.   At this point all should work well.

Best regards,
Swampy
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 5:26:35 AM EDT
[#4]
thanks for the info everyone. I think I'll just pickup one and give it a try
Link Posted: 7/19/2003 12:34:46 PM EDT
[#5]
They make great targets~~~stick with the USGI one's.  (Under $40 at Cole's)
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 3:44:52 PM EDT
[#6]
 Over time the locking hole at the front of the mag will tend to stretch...at the point the mag begins to dip downwards and you will start having feeding problems....until then it will feed like butter or not at all.  One or the other.  I have several and I no longer use them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top