Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/12/2003 3:21:15 PM EDT
I just bought a CMP danish rifle.  Its got a SA receiver and all SA stamped parts except the VAR barrel.  The serial number in 976xxx.  How old is this receiver?  I thought SA made more then 5,000,000 during WWII.  If so, do I have an early one?  I am just awed that I could have a rifle that is that old and has that much history in it.  Its at Deans getting refinished.
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 3:42:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Hi ARDOC.. your receiver was made in the early part of November 1942. There were 4 makers of the Garand, Springfield Armory, Winchester(WRA), Harrington&Richardson(HRA),& International Harvester(IHC). only Winchester made Garands during WW-II. HRA's and IHC's were only made during the early to late 50's and SA made the bulk of them from 1936 until 1957. A total of close to 6 million were made by all 4 makers.
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 6:57:02 PM EDT
[#2]
HighPower, thanks for the info.  Its so interesting to have a rifle with that kind of history.  Its becoming one of my favorite guns.
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 8:35:07 PM EDT
[#3]
You can go over to www.jouster.com they have the best forum on M1's on the web, at the top of the M1 page are some tabs, one of them is for looking up serial numbers, also while you're there, click on the "Lanes's Tips" tab, lots of info on M1's there, minor 'smithing you can do,fine tuning, worth looking at, as well as the message board, lots of people there who know M1's If you get a chance, check it out,
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 3:46:57 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I just  The serial number in 976xxx.  How old is this receiver?

From my book that's November 1942
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top