Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/16/2003 9:41:58 PM EDT
After kicking around buying a used HK or HK clone, it dawned on me (I'm slow) that I could buy a NIB Springfield Armory M1A for the money I was spending, get a lifetime warranty, and have a rifle that locks back on the last round (God forbid - for all they did, HK couldn't get that in there...)

Anyway, I have heard some bad things about the current crop of S.A. M1As - but I have had good experiences with their pistols and customer service. How are these rifles stacking up, real world?

Are there any real differences between the pre and post ban M1As?

Any good deals online? I hav an FFL that will transfer for $25.

THANKS for your help, folks...

Paul
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 2:03:50 AM EDT
[#1]
 From my experience the more GI parts on the gun...the better.  SA is starting to use lots of cast parts now from what I am hearing and the one thing on my Scout that caused me problems was the Springfield non GI barrel.  It seems that lots of the M1A issues are caused by non GI parts made to poor specs by Springfield.  Something about those companies from Geneseo....maybe it's in the water.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 10:51:10 AM EDT
[#2]
I would stick with the Springfield Standard model.You get the USGI barrel ( chromed lined ) .I seen them for about $1050 aroung Ga. in the gunshows NIB.  WarDawg
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 11:12:35 AM EDT
[#3]
the new ones are good guns and if you have a problem they will fix it.  it's as simple as that.  i have a NM at the house and i love it.  

Link Posted: 6/18/2003 3:08:01 PM EDT
[#4]
An alternative worth consideration is to buy a Springfield Armory receiver and a USGI parts kit and have a competent gunsmith put it together for you.

I've got a M1A that was assembled by Ted Brown, a noted M1A 'smith. It's all USGI Winchester parts on a Springfield Armory receiver. There are NO National Match parts on the rifle, but it will shoot sub-MOA with Federal Gold Medal 168gr. Match ammo.

I don't know what it cost for the parts & labor that went into this rifle, I traded for it earlier this year from the original owner. I've seen similar rifles built by Ted for $1200 on the internet.

FWIW- Ted Brown works out of an establishment called "The Shooter's Den" somewhere in Oregon. He was an Armorer in the Marine Corps at one time, so he knows all the "tricks" to build a quality rifle.

Ron Smith of Smith Enterprise in Tempe, AZ also warrants consideration.(www.smithenterprise.com)

Both, however, are likely to have a waiting list.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 5:15:54 AM EDT
[#5]
I have a Poly for sale on the EE, now (it's an amazing deal).
Do a few searchs, and you'll see.
Polytechs have the best, forged receivers that are commercially available.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 5:23:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Talk to Dave at www.quanticoarms.com
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 9:22:29 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I have a Poly for sale on the EE, now (it's an amazing deal).
Do a few searchs, and you'll see.
Polytechs have the best, forged receivers that are commercially available.

Hot diggity! That IS an amazing deal! If I didn't already have one, I'd be on it like a hobo on a hotdog. Try posting it in the sale forum at www.battlerifles.com I bet it will move there.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 10:06:37 AM EDT
[#8]
I have heard great things about Ted Brown on the defunct GunandKnife.com board but I have never used his services.  I have used Smith Enterprise for M1A gunsmithing twice in the last six months.  Turnaround time was one day and two weeks in each instance.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top