Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/6/2003 10:27:17 PM EDT

Hey folks....I just sold one of my pre-ban AR's, and I need to buy a new rifle before I spend the money elsewhere.  I have been seriously considering a M1A Scout, at this point for no other reason than it feels good in the hands and it looks cool.  Convince me that I want this rifle and tell me how you like yours.  Pics would be nice too.

Thanks

Link Posted: 6/7/2003 6:25:20 AM EDT
[#1]
 Well, cuz they are lightning fast with good optics, pwerful as hell and reliable if built properly.  Try to find an older Scout or Bush rifle ( the Bush has no optic mount and uses a flash hider instead of a brake ).  Also look for as many parts NOT stamped SA as possible.  Look for TRW, HRA, and WRA stamps on as many components as possible, this will insure you that these are the late 50's and early 60's production components that are FORGED.  Also, check the chamber with a penlight to make sure it is cut smoothly.  My scout had a nice ring by the neck of the chamber which caused VERY difficult extraction and extractor breakage.  To give you an idea how tough forged components are: my Scout operated flawlessly with that screwed up chamber.  The only reason I discovered the issue is that it would break an extractor every 800 rounds or so.  Try THAT with a cast component.

The Scout Squad is a BAD ASS gun..ya just gotta get it to "mil spec" as possible.  Oh...no chrome lined bores on the Scouts, sadly.  It isn't deemed important.  I believe a chrome lined barrel is important for a survival/rough duty gun and so do others...butttttt........well, even without the chrome lined barrel the Scout is still AWESOME!!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top